GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Squirrels (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/12476-re-squirrels.html)

Susan H. Simko 31-03-2003 06:56 PM

Squirrels

Pellet gun does wonders and doesn't kill the squirrels. But, if you
don't want to go that route, you can also mix in powdered capsacin or
powdered cayenne pepper into bird seed, sprinkled around a bed, etc.
Birds can't taste capsacin/cayenne pepper.

FYI - capsacin is the chemical compound that makes hot peppers hot.
Hence, pure capsacin is hotter than cayenne. (I think Gardener's Supply
may sell some kind of capsacin powder for this purpose.) We've also
mixed powdered cayenne into vaseline and greased the poles of our
feeders to keep them from climbing them.

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu

dookie 31-03-2003 11:32 PM

Squirrels

"Susan H. Simko" wrote in message
Pellet gun does wonders and doesn't kill the squirrels.

i beg to differ.

dookie

Brent Harsh 01-04-2003 01:32 AM

Squirrels

dookie wrote:
"Susan H. Simko" wrote in message

Pellet gun does wonders and doesn't kill the squirrels.

i beg to differ.

dookie

It all depends on how many pumps you make and where you aim. A one-pump
butt-shot just makes 'em jump a little and not even leave the feeder.
Don't ask how I know.

--
Brent Harsh - KD4PBO
Cary, North Carolina, USA

Susan H. Simko 01-04-2003 03:44 PM

Squirrels

Brent Harsh wrote:

"Susan H. Simko"
Pellet gun does wonders and doesn't kill the squirrels.

dookie wrote:
i beg to differ.

Squirrels may be cute but they are rodents. Almost any disease or
infection a rat can carry, so can a squirrel. Personally, I want them
to stay in the woods across the street from our house and away from our
house. Squirrel infestations can do *major* damage to a house.

Brent Harsh wrote:
It all depends on how many pumps you make and where you aim. A one-pump
butt-shot just makes 'em jump a little and not even leave the feeder.
Don't ask how I know.

You're right about that with a rifle. The s.o. even experimented one
time and shot himself in the leg (close range which would be a *much*
harder hit than long range) to see what it felt like.

If you use a handgun type pellet gun, you rarely even hit them. All you
need to do is get close enough to them to let them know you mean
business and they're gone. Once you've used it a couple of times, all
you have to do is open the door and they're gone...

Susan

[email protected] 01-04-2003 11:08 PM

Squirrels

In article , dookie wrote:
"Susan H. Simko" wrote in message
Pellet gun does wonders and doesn't kill the squirrels.

i beg to differ.

Depends on how many times you pump it up. I have never actually killed
one, but stunned it enough to pound its head in. Seldom do that anymore
unless they are really aggravating.

dookie

--
Wes Dukes (wdukesNOatSPAMpoboxdotcom)

Lance R. 01-04-2003 11:32 PM

Squirrels

wrote in message
. ..
In article , dookie

wrote:
"Susan H. Simko" wrote in message
Pellet gun does wonders and doesn't kill the squirrels.

i beg to differ.

Depends on how many times you pump it up. I have never actually killed
one, but stunned it enough to pound its head in. Seldom do that anymore
unless they are really aggravating.

I remember there used to be a mentally challenged guy at NC State who would
run around on "Tucker beach" shooting squirrels with a super-soaker. He
would attempt hide behind trees and jump around corners to surprise them.

Lance

Lance R. 01-05-2003 05:47 PM

Squirrels

wrote in message