Old 03-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Wendy

Default Planting on a hill

I have a two terrace backyard and two slopes (slightly steep). One
slope has plants on it and the other doesn't. I am not sure how to
plant on slopes. I want to cover the second slope with bushes
(recommendations?) and ground cover. Both slopes get full sun. I just
don't know how to plant the bushes.

Also, both slopes have clay soil (no surprise). I bought tons of black
cow and peat moss. I'm going to rent a tiller but I'm kind of uneasy
about tilling on a slope.

Any experience you could share on one or both of these subjects would
be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2003, 03:33 PM
Tomatolord

yes - dont do it now..

plant the shrubs in the fall not now - hills are drier than other any other
place and the summers can be very dry here

I would not till the entire hill either, just make million dollar holes - a
hole that is 2-3 times the size of the root ball, with plenty of compost
mounded around. Then spread mulch - tree chippings between the plants to
retain moisture.

For the hill itself, there are plenty of vinining type plants - you could
plant this now but dont hope for much this year,
remember - 1st year it sleeps, 2nd year it creeps 3rd it leaps (tony a)

creeping flox at the top will fill in after 2-3 years.
vinca
coreopsis - can be invasive
periwinkle
lavendar will do well this year
lemon grass
foxtail
any herbs - they like the dry hills -

- plant some daffodils in the fall as well to give you that spring color

in the fall
gumpo azaleas - smaller azaleas that wont need prunning
dwarf gardenias - they are low spreading bush instead of the upright bush

good luck!
tomatolord

om...

Old 05-04-2003, 02:44 AM
MAC

gumpo azaleas - smaller azaleas that wont need prunning

No, because the deer will do that for you. I couldn't believe how much
they loved the dozen or so Gumpo I planted last year. There's just one left.

MAC