Old 03-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Arwen Long

Default ready to rampage...

There are holes in my hellebore. And the edges of leaves have gone
missing. Does this suggest dastardly slug villains? What's the best way to
get rid of them... other than chopping off their heads and sticking them
on toothpicks a la Tower Bridge, London?

Looking for a mini hatchet...

Arwen
Old 19-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Doctoroe

I put out some decollate snails a couple years ago, and they have
definitely reduced our slug population. The slugs used to attack our
hosta as the main course each night, but now only occasionally do we
see slug damage. Best not to put the decollates in your veggie garden
though, since if there are no other snails or slugs to cannibalize,
they will likely munch on your veggies. They seem to be no problem
otherwise though. You seldom see the little critters, but they
definitely have reduced the local slug population. Yes, they are
cannibal snails, and yes, they eat slugs and other snails.
http://gardening.about.com/gi/dynami...decollate.html