Old 04-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Tom

Default Banana plants in this area.

Anyone have experience with banana plants in this area. In particular
I am interested in: Musa basjoo, Musa sikkimensis, and Musella
lasiocarpa.

I understand that Musa basjoo is the standard "cold hardy" banana
plant in this area. There seems to be some disagreement on the boards,
however, with regard to it dying back in zone 7. In particular, in
Raleigh, should I expect it to die back to the root in Winter?

Also, does anyone have experience with the other two varieties
locally?

Lastly, anyone have sources for there plants locally?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 04-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Tomatolord

Yes ours did NOT flower last year - although it had plenty of sun and water

You either have to bring them inside during the winter OR cover them in a
pile of leaves

tony avent has them for sale

If the roots freeze they will simply rot in the ground
om...

Old 14-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Buffs Rich

well i was under the same belief as you and even went so far as to surrond it
with 5 bales of pine straw... didn't make it. but toney avent at Plant
Delights has some that do well here. the web site is www.plantdel.com
Old 15-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Tom

(Buffs Rich) wrote in message ...
well i was under the same belief as you and even went so far as to surrond it
with 5 bales of pine straw... didn't make it. but toney avent at Plant
Delights has some that do well here. the web site is
www.plantdel.com

I intend to see Tony Avents in May when he has the open house. I live
within hollerin' distance of his place, so I've been curious to go for
a while. My questions pertaining to the three species listed above
were because those are the ones that are reputed to be cold hardy. I
know Plant Delights carries Musa Basjoo, and my main question was for
people who have raised one or more of those species.

Depending upon locale I've heard that the plant will survive or that
it dies back to root. I would like to find out experiences of people
here in Raleigh.
Again, not Bananas in General, but those species.

Thanks,

Tom