Old 06-03-2006, 05:10 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Jo

Default Lavender Plants

I have never grown them here in the south. How well do they fare? Do you
have better luck from direct seed or plants?
Where would you find plants if that was the best way to go and when is
the best time to plant?

Jo
Old 06-03-2006, 05:44 PM posted to triangle.gardens
jim frei

"Jo" wrote in message
I have never grown them here in the south. How well do they fare? Do you
have better luck from direct seed or plants?
Where would you find plants if that was the best way to go and when is the
best time to plant?

Planted two small lavendar plants last spring - now they are 14 inches tall.
Nice fragrant blooms in late summer. Bought em locally - can't remember
where.

Old 06-03-2006, 06:19 PM posted to triangle.gardens
?

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 16:10:54 GMT in Jo wrote:
I have never grown them here in the south. How well do they fare? Do you
have better luck from direct seed or plants?
Where would you find plants if that was the best way to go and when is
the best time to plant?

They are proving difficult to germinate for me.
Had about 3 germinate out of 18 seeds some weeks ago, and managed
to kill them off by having them get too hot.
Tried again, and have only had one to germinate so far.

Did a quick google and apparently this is normal.
I shall try putting the remaining pellets in the fridge for a week.

Anyhoo, should I get more than 2 to germinate, I'll have more than I
need.

In the meantime, if anyone has pointers to someone with a few varieties
of lavender that one can take cuttings from, I'd appreciate it.
--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
Old 06-03-2006, 10:09 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Steve

In article ,
Jo wrote:
I have never grown them here in the south. How well do they fare? Do you
have better luck from direct seed or plants?

Lavender grows well here, but it can be hard to start from seed.
Germination is not very good and they grow slowly until established. I
have a few that I started from seed last year and they are still tiny.
I think I recall starting some succesfully from cuttings a number of
years ago, though, and may try that again.

--
Steve

Old 06-03-2006, 11:47 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Anne Lurie

Jo,

I don't know about growing lavendar from seed, I would never have the
patience to do that! For plants, though, I suggest you check out the
Farmers' Market in Raleigh some weekend. I think I have seen lavendar
plants at various garden centers, too.

That reminds me -- I need to get some replacement rosemary plants, as I
had not pruned mine well, and it finally bit the dust (or the sand, rather!)

Anne Lurie

Old 07-03-2006, 12:32 AM posted to triangle.gardens

We planted ours from a store...

There are a few varieties out there.

They need very dry and very hot conditions

Ours is out near the curb and driveway very dry and very hot.

One thing to remember bees LOVE lavendar - however many people are very
nervous about bees so you may want to be careful about where you plant them

The lavendar made the bees very very docile - so much that my boys could
'pet" the bees, I did as well they are very soft.

Tomatolord

Old 07-03-2006, 06:04 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Jo

Thank you everyone!

I will check out the farmers market too! Thanks Anne.

Jo
Old 07-03-2006, 10:10 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Craig Watts

Jo wrote:

Thank you everyone!

I will check out the farmers market too! Thanks Anne.

Jo

I searched this site for lavender but came up empty handed.

http://www.plantdelights.com/

They just had one of their open house weekends this past
weekend.

Craig

Lavender and White - pale-lavender-and-white.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 3 30-07-2007 02:36 AM
My Lavender Plants won't flower Scott Lindsay Australia 4 29-07-2003 08:23 PM
Munstead Lavender seeds LeAnn Gardening 2 30-03-2003 05:56 PM
Siberian Lavender vericaulk Gardening 2 30-03-2003 03:32 AM
Pruning lavender (zone 24/8) Polar Gardening 6 04-02-2003 03:53 AM