Old 14-03-2006, 03:10 AM posted to triangle.gardens
cptnevo

Default 55 gal barrel? (searched archives and didn't see answer, btw)

i'm looking for the fabled $5-10 55 gallon food grade barrel for rain
collection, please. ideally in hillsborough.

someone posted about this two years ago, but i didn't see an answer ...
my apologies for any redundancy.

thank you.

Old 15-03-2006, 11:34 AM posted to triangle.gardens
fernvalley

Check archives of triangle.forsale.

Old 15-03-2006, 09:11 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Lewis

Listen to Triangle Trader on 570 AM at 5 PM there is a guy on there
that sells 55 Gal. Barrels for $10 Each. with or without the tops on
them .

Old 15-03-2006, 11:05 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Mitch Amiano

There's a home on rt401 heading North between Raleigh and Rolesville,
just after Perry Creek Road, where barrels are regularly sold.

(Don't know if this is the person who sells over the Triangle Trader.)

There is no knowing exactly what went in them. From the smell of the
one's I've picked up I doubt they were used for food - more likely soaps
or fragrances.

Old 16-03-2006, 12:10 AM posted to triangle.gardens
Anne Lurie

I admit this may be of no help whatsoever, but...... I still deserve my
$.02 worth's say!! And, yeah, cp -- the question was posted, but I don't
recall a satisfactory answer.

1. Long ago and far away (okay, in Vermont 10-12 years ago), I picked up my
"rain barrel" from a company a few miles from me that made cheese for
pizzas. As I recall, the barrel had previously held peppers -- and from
the aroma, I believed it!!!

BTW, I don't know if anyone cares, but I think said barrel was brick red and
made of HDPE #6 (sorry, I used to be up on my numbers back in the days --
and place -- where lots of stuff was recycled). Of course, the sticker
that was still on the barrel helped a lot! (Yes, one could recycle HDPE,
but the economics of the pickup are even worse than for detergent
ottles -- 2 barrels would exceed my car's capacity.)

which brings me to point #2 (y'all knew it was in there somewhere, didn't
ya?)

2. If I could not be certain what had been in the barrel, I would not use
water collected in same on my veggies. I'd buy one for $69 or whatever and
be done with that!

I will have to check out the "guy on 401 who sells barrels" since I go by
there a lot -- although I don't recall seeing barrels for sale. (But,
hey, on that stretch of road, the drivers are happily "barrelling along.")

Stepping down off my soap box now,

Anne Lurie
in the wilds of Wake County!

oups.com...

Old 16-03-2006, 02:26 AM posted to triangle.gardens
Michael Waldvogel

The "barrel guy" is on the west (inbound) side of Hwy 401,
north of Eckerds at Perry Creek and just below the church.

I have to agree with Anne that without knowing the barrel's
history, I'd be very wary of storing water for a vegetable
garden.

Regardless of what barrel you get, make sure you keep it
covered with some type of screening to keep out leaves,
debris and skeeters.....

Anne Lurie wrote:
[...]

oups.com...