Old 23-03-2006, 12:39 PM posted to triangle.gardens
MJC

Default Tomato Help

My seedling plants are shriveling up and dieing. I had so much hope for this
year. I have planted an Heirloom, latterly they are the ones my husbands
Grandfather always grew, Mexican Pinks and Yellow Pear. They are in drained
pots right at the window sill. We have just installed 2 raised beds with the
highest of anticpation. What could I possably be doing wrong? There are a
few plants left, can anyone help me save them?

Thanks for any ideas,
MJ

Old 23-03-2006, 07:21 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2006-03-23, MJC wrote:
My seedling plants are shriveling up and dieing. I had so much hope for this
year. I have planted an Heirloom, latterly they are the ones my husbands
Grandfather always grew, Mexican Pinks and Yellow Pear. They are in drained
pots right at the window sill. We have just installed 2 raised beds with the
highest of anticpation. What could I possably be doing wrong? There are a
few plants left, can anyone help me save them?

Thanks for any ideas,
MJ

what are you starting them in - What kind of growing media ? Garden
soil, potting soil, peat pellets?

Are they too wet? Too much sun? Too much heat? Too cold? Too Dry?

Kind of hard to tell from the info you provided.

is a garbage address.
Old 23-03-2006, 08:18 PM posted to triangle.gardens
E Gregory

On 2006-03-23, MJC wrote:

My seedling plants are shriveling up and dieing. I had so much hope for this
year. I have planted an Heirloom, latterly they are the ones my husbands
Grandfather always grew, Mexican Pinks and Yellow Pear. They are in drained
pots right at the window sill. We have just installed 2 raised beds with the
highest of anticpation. What could I possably be doing wrong? There are a
few plants left, can anyone help me save them?

Thanks for any ideas,
MJ

Most likely a thing called "damping off", I think it's fungus that
attacks the seedling at soil level. It's best remedied by keeping the
surface of the soil dry and keep some air movement around the seedlings.
Good luck,
Eileen
Old 24-03-2006, 12:08 AM posted to triangle.gardens
Craig Watts

MJC wrote:
My seedling plants are shriveling up and dieing. I had so much hope for this
year. I have planted an Heirloom, latterly they are the ones my husbands
Grandfather always grew, Mexican Pinks and Yellow Pear. They are in drained
pots right at the window sill. We have just installed 2 raised beds with the
highest of anticpation. What could I possably be doing wrong? There are a
few plants left, can anyone help me save them?

Thanks for any ideas,
MJ

Lights, lights, lights. Get 'em (floresant)sp? low to the plant.

They will grow long reaching for the light out the window
sill and fall over if you do not have lights. We built
something that looks like a saw horse and hang the lights by
a chain and adjust for their growth. All the difference in
the world.

Craig
Old 24-03-2006, 12:19 AM posted to triangle.gardens
MJC

Does it look white and fuzzy? There is air movement around them but I have
noticed this white stuff on other plants too.. I started all of my seeds
with a new bag of "Potting Mix" so I hope there was nothing preexisting the
soil. Can I scrape this stuff off ?? Thanks for the help, I am really quite
upset about this, I have waited a long time for raised beds and to have the
time to really garden.

MJ

Old 24-03-2006, 01:12 AM posted to triangle.gardens
Nosmo King

In article , "MJC" wrote:

Thanks for any ideas,

I've given up on trying to do tomatos from seed. To me, it's worth a few
extra bucks to buy the seedlings from the Tomato Man, when he's at the
Farmer's Market.

His web site is http://nctomatoman.topcities.com/
Old 24-03-2006, 02:17 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Dwayne

I would take the rest out on the back porch and set them in the sun as long
as it is warm enough for them. Otherwise set them on the floor if the sun
comes in a window on the east, south, or west side of the house. It will
kill the mold and strengthen the plants.Do this until they can be planted
outside.

Dwayne

Old 25-03-2006, 12:49 AM posted to triangle.gardens
Anne Lurie

MJ,

It sounds like a fungus of some sort -- I had a similar problem a few
years ago, even though I was using potting soil from a reputable source, no
outside contact for the plants, etc. In all my years of starting seedlings,
I never had that happen before, but it seemed to be classic "damping off"(?)

If these were from seeds of plants that your husband's grandfather actually
grew, you might try putting one or two seedlings in a bit of water.
However, if you are trying to grow the same variety (but not from the same
plants), I suggest you give up on these and see if you can start over with
plants (or may still be time to restart seedlings).

Also, depending on how close to the window the seedlings are, could it
simply be too cold there at night?

Hang in there, kid!

Anne