GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ANTS! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/141534-ants.html)

Carla In NC 25-03-2006 02:10 PM

ANTS!

This is a little off-topic, but I thought you gardening experts might
be able to help me. I have an ant invasion in my home - in the kitchen
and bathroom.

I've tried everything to get rid of them including a boric acid
solution and OTC stuff from Home Depot.

I'd like NOT to call an exterminator and I need to be careful what I
use in the house due to pets.

I've searched high and low and I can't seem to find where they are
coming in. They seem to be worse as the weather warms. Back when we had
consistent freezing temps, the situation got a little better.

Any ideas for home remedies for ridding ourselves of these ants? They
are those tiny little ants...the ones my mother used to call "****
ants". (Please excuse the term...)

Thanks!

CarlaTownsend at nc dot rr dot com

MJC 25-03-2006 02:38 PM

ANTS!

We have 2 litre bottle caps in a few corners around the house filled with
fire ant bait. It was all we had at the time the same kind of ants you have
invaded. Works like a charm, we haven't had them in a long time.
My mother called them the same thing VBG
oups.com...

[email protected] 25-03-2006 02:54 PM

ANTS!

On 2006-03-25, Carla In NC wrote:
This is a little off-topic, but I thought you gardening experts might
be able to help me. I have an ant invasion in my home - in the kitchen
and bathroom.

I've tried everything to get rid of them including a boric acid
solution and OTC stuff from Home Depot.

I'd like NOT to call an exterminator and I need to be careful what I
use in the house due to pets.

I've searched high and low and I can't seem to find where they are
coming in. They seem to be worse as the weather warms. Back when we had
consistent freezing temps, the situation got a little better.

Any ideas for home remedies for ridding ourselves of these ants? They
are those tiny little ants...the ones my mother used to call "****
ants". (Please excuse the term...)

Thanks!

CarlaTownsend at nc dot rr dot com

I had this problem and they had already infested under the house. I
sprayed all around the perimeter of the crawl space inside and they came
back. I then sprayed all the pillars under the house and the problem
went away. That time I sprayed the top and the bottom of the pillars
and where the outside walls meet the ground and up where the joists and
stringers are.

I use Ortho home pest control. I like the pump they have built in the
sprayer now. I also spray outside where the siding meets the foundation
all around the house.

None of these sprayings should harm pets. IN the house they tend to
enter from the pipes but mine went to the attic and back down by the
stove vent into the cabinets. So I sprayed the attic too.

Have not had a reinfestation. I think they initially gained access from
a driveway seam that comes to the front corner of the house.

Hope this helps.

is a garbage address.

Jo 27-03-2006 01:41 PM

ANTS!

Carla In NC wrote:
This is a little off-topic, but I thought you gardening experts might
be able to help me. I have an ant invasion in my home - in the kitchen
and bathroom.

I've tried everything to get rid of them including a boric acid
solution and OTC stuff from Home Depot.

I'd like NOT to call an exterminator and I need to be careful what I
use in the house due to pets.

I've searched high and low and I can't seem to find where they are
coming in. They seem to be worse as the weather warms. Back when we had
consistent freezing temps, the situation got a little better.

Any ideas for home remedies for ridding ourselves of these ants? They
are those tiny little ants...the ones my mother used to call "****
ants". (Please excuse the term...)

Thanks!

CarlaTownsend at nc dot rr dot com

http://www.biconet.com/crawlers/poisonfreeant.html

Worked well for me. :)

Jo

Alan Magid 28-03-2006 06:46 PM

ANTS!

In article .com,
"Carla In NC" wrote:

I've tried everything to get rid of them including a boric acid
solution and OTC stuff from Home Depot

You gave up too soon on borate. Get some Terro, a mixture of sodium
borate and sugar. Follow directions. Works like a charm. Essentially
nontoxic (but don't eat it).

Also I use ant spray at all points of entry applied to exterior (door
ways, windows, any thru-wall holes).