GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Poor showing of tulips (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/141835-re-poor-showing-tulips.html)

Brent Harsh 01-04-2006 07:08 PM

Poor showing of tulips

Nosmo King wrote:

Last fall I planted ~100 tulip bulbs of various types in different locations
around the yard. About half have emerged. About a third of those have
produced a flower. Needless to say, I'm disappointed. Do tulips take a year
to get established ? I've also heard that the poor results may have been due
to mild winter. I'm wondering if I just got a bunch of duds.

I've planted tulips and daffodils down here. Skip the tulips, only the daffodils come back.

I don't know if it's the warm climate or the animals or the soil, but my results have been similar to yours.

--
Brent Harsh - KD4PBO /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Say
bharsh at ncroadrunner \ / NO to HTML in email and news.

[email protected] 01-04-2006 08:45 PM

Poor showing of tulips

Tulips are not reliably good in NC soil and climate. Another big
disappointment is rhubarb. Have not found any rhubarb that does well
here either. Anyone aware of rhubarb that will gro in the Triangle?

05-04-2006 02:23 AM

Poor showing of tulips

winters are not cold enough for tulips down here and the summers too hot.

There are a very few tulips that do well - but basically you spent a lot of
time for nothing.

The worst part is that they will continue to have leaves each year but get
smaller and smaller over time

daffodils are the way to go if you want a bulb plant

Tomatolord
oups.com...