GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   azaleas? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/142019-azaleas.html)

Arwen Long 06-04-2006 01:53 AM

azaleas?

Is there a way to lengthen the bloom time of azaleas down here? A couple
friends have been asking, and afaik, azaleas are happiest with cool nights
(around 60F) and maybe azaleas can be deadheaded. Anybody? Anne?

Thanks :)

Arwen

Bob Overby 06-04-2006 02:15 PM

azaleas?

"Arwen Long" wrote in message
ub.duke.edu...
Is there a way to lengthen the bloom time of azaleas down here? A couple
friends have been asking, and afaik, azaleas are happiest with cool nights
(around 60F) and maybe azaleas can be deadheaded. Anybody? Anne?

Another azalea question - I need to trim back the azaleas in front of my
house windows as they are getting too tall. Is the best time, right after
they finish blooming? How drastic can I go without hurting the blooms for
next year?
Bob

? 07-04-2006 08:23 PM

azaleas?

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 09:15:42 -0400 in Bob Overby wrote:

"Arwen Long" wrote in message
ub.duke.edu...
Is there a way to lengthen the bloom time of azaleas down here? A couple
friends have been asking, and afaik, azaleas are happiest with cool nights
(around 60F) and maybe azaleas can be deadheaded. Anybody? Anne?

Another azalea question - I need to trim back the azaleas in front of my
house windows as they are getting too tall. Is the best time, right after
they finish blooming? How drastic can I go without hurting the blooms for
next year?

My understanding is that it can be pretty drastic as long as you
avoid new growth.

(The new growth doesn't start until after the blooming).

--
Chris Dukes
tajwerk this job isnt bad though. Today we had free breakfast and

Arwen Long 09-04-2006 09:17 PM

azaleas?

yep, i went all through their faq before posting & didn't find anything...

thanks though

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, dookie wrote:

http://www.azaleas.org/index.html

ub.duke.edu...