Old 06-04-2006, 07:42 PM posted to triangle.gardens
glen walker

Default furrows and ridges or flat?

I've had small veggie gardens in the past (beds of 3'x8') but now I have
room for a bigger one. It's not huge but is bigger than anything I've
managed before, about 40'x60'. The entire bed is tilled up and ready for
planting. In the past, I've just raked the dirt flat and planted as is and
had great results. However, in driving around and noticing other people's
gardens, the bigger ones have furrows and ridges. Does anyone know if that
helps irrigation (water flows in the furrows between the rows of plants)?

If so, what's the best way to make them, sans tractor? I only have the
basic yard tools - shovels (spade and square), small hoe, short tooth rake,
garden fork - plus a handful of small hand tools, but I can't see crawling
60 feet with a hand trowel.

I do have a riding mower so I could rig something up to drag behind it, but
it could potentially get stuck in the soft dirt.

Glen

Old 06-04-2006, 10:04 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2006-04-06, glen walker wrote:
[...]

I don't think furrows really matter. It is personal preference. Flat
rows probably are best in dry times, and furrows in wet times, bit since
one can't reliably predict that I just choose what ever whim hits me
when I plant.

YOu can use a large hoe and elbow grease to make adequate furrows.
Get one with as long a handle as you can find and don't skimp on a
cheap one. Heavy duty.

I don't make furrows too large because as the plants grow I use the hoe
to pull more dirt around the roots to smother weeds. Then a second time
when I apply nitrogen, since you want it covered.

If you have a pushplow then it makes the work a bit easier. Using a
garden tractor in a 40x 60 is kind of like using a sledge hammer to
drive a finishing nail. Whether I use my plow or not is another whim
and depends on how long and how many rows. Plus I have a small honda
tiller to cultivate the plants and remove weeds.

Root crops like Irish and sweet potatoes benefit by pulling up the
furrow as the plants grow since it offers softer dirt for the plants to
put on more tubers. I did the same with corn because it makes it more
resistant to wind.

is a garbage address.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:40 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Craig Watts

60 feet with a hand trowel.

I do have a riding mower so I could rig something up to drag behind it, but
it could potentially get stuck in the soft dirt.

Glen

I had a neighbor who used to be a farmer down in Bath, NC.
We lived in Raleigh and gardened next to each other. My flat
garden was as good or better than his furrowed garden. He
said they farmed that way for drainage in Bath.

Bottom line is it's personal preference.

Craig
Old 07-04-2006, 12:47 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Jo

Craig Watts wrote:
60 feet with a hand trowel.

I do have a riding mower so I could rig something up to drag behind
it, but
it could potentially get stuck in the soft dirt.

Glen

I had a neighbor who used to be a farmer down in Bath, NC. We lived in
Raleigh and gardened next to each other. My flat garden was as good or
better than his furrowed garden. He said they farmed that way for
drainage in Bath.

Bottom line is it's personal preference.

Craig

I would say the same for mine as well. I also do not till.

Jo

lawn about 60 sq metres and quite flat - advice on best mower please Jim United Kingdom 2 04-07-2004 12:05 AM
looking for large flat stones effi Gardening 0 10-06-2003 05:20 AM
Pergola flat top or slanted BS Lawns 0 09-05-2003 07:08 AM
Maxillaria callichroma- flat psuedobulbs Diane Mancino Orchids 0 16-04-2003 02:44 AM
Weird flat fungus? Sue United Kingdom 4 18-11-2002 09:39 PM