Old 09-05-2006, 02:37 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Sick Pine Tree Treatment

I have a pretty tall pine tree, I don't know its species, but it has a
cone shape look. It's apparently sick as the needles start turning
brown. There are two other pine trees of the same kind just besides it
but they are fine.
I wonder if anyone has any suggestion of what I should do. Is there a
good arborist I can call ? I'm in Cary.

Thanks a lot.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:22 AM posted to triangle.gardens
laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)

If it's the fungus spread by the pine borer, I don't believe it IS
treatable.

I just had to have my second-tallest white pine taken down today. It was
half-green all winter, but as soon as the weather warmed up, the beetles
must have started boring again, because the needles all turned brown instead
of coming in fresh.

It was a danger to the house, because it had more limbs on the side that
faced the house, and not only were the roots rotten, when they cut into the
trunk, it was rotten on the inside and probably would have come down on my
bedroom in the next high wind. This makes nearly 20 white pines I have had
taken down from my 2 acres in the last 8 years.

I am worried about this disease spreading to the Loblolly pines that
surround the lot on 3 sides. Anyone know if the Loblollies will be next?

laurie (Mother Mastiff)

"Nosmo King" wrote in message
In article .com,
wrote:
I have a pretty tall pine tree, I don't know its species, but it has a
cone shape look. It's apparently sick as the needles start turning
brown. There are two other pine trees of the same kind just besides it
but they are fine.

Is it a "pretty tall" tree (eg very tall) or a "pretty, tall tree" as in
nice
looking ? :-)

White pines tend to keep their lower limbs, so it may be one of those. I
think the common ones are loblolly pines, which tend to fall on your house
during an ice storm. For a while, it seemed like pine beetles were all
over,
but I don't hear about them as much today.

Here is a link to a UNC page that may provide more info :
http://www.ibiblio.org/pic/answers.htm. Do a search on the page for
"pine".
The ncsu.edu site has good information, as well.