Old 26-05-2006, 02:17 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Default how to improve a yard's soil?

Our yard is just a mass of gritty red clay underneath the grass. The
contractors obviously bulldozed off all the topsoil and probably hauled
it away and sold it. Does anyone have any suggestions for improving
the soil over the longer term? Does leaving the clippings on the yard
actually help? The lot has been in this state for at least 20 years
and there is little or no topsoil on any of it. (We just moved here
couple years ago.) Suggestions appreciated.

Old 26-05-2006, 04:41 AM posted to triangle.gardens
jtill

Well, you can haul in topsoil. There are rentable areators here that
open up the soil, if you can rent one do that. Follow with monthly
feeding and regular watering. Leaving the clipping is the correct
thing. Do you use a mulching mower? Works best. Drop by the local golf
course and talk to the greenskeeper. He will know what to do better
than anyone.
Julysun

Old 26-05-2006, 11:21 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Anne Lurie

Compost, compost, compost! This will improve clay or sandy soil! (Easy for
me to say, I have several compost piles!)

I'm not sure about leaving the clippings on the grass, since I don't know
what kind of grass you have. Also, there are clipping and there are
clippings -- if your mower is a "mulcher" and the clippings are fine, that
is one thing. However, if you have clumps of clippings, that might not be
so beneficial.

Also, I must respectfully disagree with a previous poster who suggested you
ask the greenskeeper at the nearest golf course. I think it is unlikely you
would have the same type of grass, and I believe that golf courses require
tremendous amounts of water, pesticides, etc. that are not necessarily the
best idea for the average homeowner.

If you know what kind of grass you have, you might try Googling for "red
clay" and "[grass type]" to see what pops up. Or you might call an
extension agent from NCSU, should be in the phone book.

Anne [hoping for rain]
NE Raleigh [the sandy part]

ups.com...

Old 27-05-2006, 12:02 AM posted to triangle.gardens
Nosmo King

In article . com, " wrote:
Our yard is just a mass of gritty red clay underneath the grass. The
contractors obviously bulldozed off all the topsoil and probably hauled
it away and sold it. Does anyone have any suggestions for improving
the soil over the longer term? Does leaving the clippings on the yard
actually help? The lot has been in this state for at least 20 years
and there is little or no topsoil on any of it. (We just moved here
couple years ago.) Suggestions appreciated.

Depending on where you are, that red clay may be the top soil. Fescue can
grow quite well in the clay, once you get it established. The secret is to
break up the top layer so the seed can get started. Using wheat straw and
keeping the seed moist will help. You also have to be careful on how you
water, as it can take awhile for the water to soak in.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:23 PM posted to triangle.gardens

If it is clay and not rock then use either wolfpack or tarheel grass seed
seed in the fall - now it is way too hot
keep the grass high 3 inches

Mine was in worse condition - the previous owner had my front lawn under
black plastic with pine straw on top for 30 years. When I pulled the
plastic back it was as barren as the moon.

I just plowed it up and tilled it and it does well.

I did not add any compost nor do I now, but I do have a recycler mower. In
the spring I do throw down a 1 inch layer of leaf mulch like a top dressing.

The key to fescue in the summer is water.
2 weeks without water it goes dormant
4 weeks it dies.

good luck

tomatolord
ups.com...

Old 04-06-2006, 02:56 PM posted to triangle.gardens

OK I will bite.. what is tarheel or wolfpack grass seed? You
suggesting local native seeds? I actually don't think fescue is native
to the east coast is it? Although not sure what is. The sparse lawn
currently is a mixture of fescue bermuda and weeds.

wrote:
If it is clay and not rock then use either wolfpack or tarheel grass seed
seed in the fall - now it is way too hot
keep the grass high 3 inches

Mine was in worse condition - the previous owner had my front lawn under
black plastic with pine straw on top for 30 years. When I pulled the
plastic back it was as barren as the moon.

I just plowed it up and tilled it and it does well.

I did not add any compost nor do I now, but I do have a recycler mower. In
the spring I do throw down a 1 inch layer of leaf mulch like a top dressing.

The key to fescue in the summer is water.
2 weeks without water it goes dormant
4 weeks it dies.

good luck

tomatolord