GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Superb compost enrichment, U dig (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/146914-superb-compost-enrichment-u-dig.html)

laurie \(Mother Mastiff\) 23-06-2006 12:17 AM

Superb compost enrichment, U dig

Several members of this list can testify to the rich fluffy black soil in my
garden, the result of using this same stuff on slippery orange clay with
sand. Mike?

The outside chicken pens need to be shoveled out about 4" deep.

This material is a blend of aged chicken manure and clay, and when mixed
with pine shavings, sawdust, or pinebark, ripens into INCREDIBLE garden
soil.

There are two 10x10 pens, a 10x20, and a 10x30. Plan on clearing an entire
pen, I need to put the wood chips in without having to wait for the next
person to come and dig.

You need two people (it's heavy stuff), a truck, containers, shovels, and a
place to compost it at home.

There is a place near Angier where you can bring an empty pickup of any size
and they will fill it with clean fresh pine shavings or sawdust for $30 a
load. Well worth the trip!

Put the chicken pen material and the shavings or sawdust in a compost bin
and you get soil that grows worms as big as pencils! (And happy worm
snakes!)

My garden is fine, I was warned by the extension agent not to make it TOO
rich, so I am offering serious gardeners a chance to dig some of this
wonderful stuff.

--
laurie (Mother Mastiff)
Please review my draft web page about my birds, www.mothermastiff.com