GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cottonwood (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/147046-cottonwood.html)

Chuck Till 26-06-2006 04:19 AM

Cottonwood

A tree has come up in my backyard that appears to
be an Eastern Cottonwood, based on leaf and bark
identification against books. I read mixed opinions
about cottonwoods on the Internet. Any local views?

fernvalley 26-06-2006 11:20 AM

Cottonwood

You're probably looking at a juvenile Pawlonia or Princess tree. Some
think of it as pretty when it blooms (looks similar to wisteria with
purple blooms) but I think of it as very invasive. You'll need to use
herbicide on it or dig deeply. Hubby cut down a six-foot one a couple
of months ago...it's back to four feet already.

Get rid of it ASAP.

bud 27-06-2006 11:17 PM

Cottonwood

Are they really that bad? My aunte from england brought me some seeds back
in feb and I'd got them.. LOTS of them growing in pots and was going to
plant the strongest and give the others away. There is a man out in Bailey
that has acres and acres of them that he grows to make bird houses. I know
they grow fast but are they as bad as Mimosa?

oups.com...