Old 25-07-2006, 06:12 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Help, figs fall when near-ripe

I am still a fig novice, and although the tree is getting HUGE this year and
has a lot of small fruit (the size of a big man's fat thumbs), despite
watering in hot spells, the largest fruit nearest to ripening falls off.

I put more pine straw mulch under it today to try to keep roots cool and
moist. Haven't fertilized since once lightly in early spring.

Is this early fruit drop a symptom of a particular problem that is curable
or at least treatable? A giant magnolia tree shades it in the morning but
it gets full sun from noon onward.

We have been awaiting our figs very eagerly, imagining the wonderful
clafoutis (fruit puddings) to be made.... Would hate to see all the fruit
drop off, since there was NO fruit to be seen last year.

Thanks for any practical advice,

laurie (Mother Mastiff)

Old 31-07-2006, 06:20 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 01:12:03 -0400, "laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)"
wrote:

I am still a fig novice, and although the tree is getting HUGE this year and
has a lot of small fruit (the size of a big man's fat thumbs), despite
watering in hot spells, the largest fruit nearest to ripening falls off.

I put more pine straw mulch under it today to try to keep roots cool and
moist. Haven't fertilized since once lightly in early spring.

Is this early fruit drop a symptom of a particular problem that is curable
or at least treatable? A giant magnolia tree shades it in the morning but
it gets full sun from noon onward.

We have been awaiting our figs very eagerly, imagining the wonderful
clafoutis (fruit puddings) to be made.... Would hate to see all the fruit
drop off, since there was NO fruit to be seen last year.

Thanks for any practical advice,

laurie (Mother Mastiff)

I've had celeste (?) figs (small) in Durham, and now in Chatham have a
brown turkey (huge.. size of small peaches). I never watered either.
Maybe you are giving it too much water. I have had a huge first crop
of figs this year (usually only get a few on the first crop), and the
second crop is coming in big.
Last year August was dry, and I had a bumper second crop. But for
three years prior, it rained a lot in August, and the little holes
would open in the end of each fig before they got ripe, and bugs would
get in and the fruit would rot before it got ripe. You'd get drunk
just walking by that tree, if you inhaled.
I think all the figs originated in arid lands, no? I think the trees
themselves like water (mine is now a giant octopus, and I will need to
alter my stone walkway this winter to allow for it), but the fruit
doesn't.
Kira

Old 01-08-2006, 12:46 AM posted to triangle.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Kira! I was having similar troubles and that seems to be what I
was doing.

Jo
Old 03-08-2006, 06:44 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Kira,

Thanks, I quit watering about the time I posted this, so maybe now there
will be some fruit, it's been hotter than the Holy Land here lately!

laurie (Mother Mastiff)
(Who ought to go out and check now that you've made me curious...)

Old 03-08-2006, 07:54 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Laurie, I think Kira is right. Maybe too much water, or not enough
drainage, or both.
The best figs I ever had were in Turkey--lovely red-brown ones, but
also a big lovely green variety that were like ambrosia. I am hoping
the Green Ischia fig tree that I ordered from Paradise Nursery in VA
this spring will someday produce fruit like that--only a few on the
3-ft tree at the moment. Can't get good fresh figs in markets
here--they must be picked very ripe, are delicate, and so do not store
or ship well. Even in Turkey the vast majority are brown figs that are
dried for the international market. Those tender fresh green figs are
only shipped locally to market and consumed immediately.

Anyway, the area where they grow is rather dry and HOT in summer, with
crumbly soil that's been plowed and tended for centuries. My husband's
family has a summer house surrounded by huge, ancient, gnarly fig
trees that produce lots of the little red-brown figs, sweet as can be.
Ohmigosh I can hardly wait for MY figs to ripen--my 5-year old tree
was pruned SEVERELY to about 4 feet tall last fall and it is right
back to 15 feet tall and loaded with fruit.

Keep your fig tree pruned so you can reach the fruit, and maybe cover
it with a net!

I bet if you email Paradise Nursery they'll help you with anything
else. Their web site is full of info. www.paradisenursery.com/

And you might be inspired to order a fig tree from them too. I got 4
different kinds this year, plus a couple of muscadine vines, all doing
great and filling me with hope for next year.

I got no interest in the company--just think they're nice folks with
great product and customer service.

Cheers
Sue

Old 03-08-2006, 10:09 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Thanks, and it sure is good to hear from you again.

The soil is red clay, I put amendments in when I planted it, but not a big
wide basin of better soil, so friable it isn't. We have heat though!

The figs are small, so it must be a Celeste it was not labeled but came from
a vendor at the Farmer's Market who SAID they only had Brown Turkey and
Celeste, and since the fruits are golf-ball size (though plentiful!), it
MUST be a Celeste.

There are several ripe fruits, but the hornets have gotten to them, moved
right over from the blueberry bushes. I have had some close calls where I
nearly picked a hornet with a berry.

Last year I waited too late into the fall to order figs from Paradise, hope
to order some earlier this year, the light green and a purple one, maybe. I
think these folks only select varieties that taste good, so I can have fun
imagining still life arrangements and choose colors accordingly....

laurie (Mother Mastiff)

news

Old 04-08-2006, 05:42 PM posted to triangle.gardens

My established figs are golfball sized, but the label on it said Brown
Turkey when I bought the tree a few years ago...

They're supposed to be bigger?

Sue

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 17:09:21 -0400, "laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)"
wrote:

[...]

news

Old 04-08-2006, 06:35 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Siouxzi wrote:

I bet if you email Paradise Nursery they'll help you with anything
else. Their web site is full of info. www.paradisenursery.com/

And you might be inspired to order a fig tree from them too. I got 4
different kinds this year, plus a couple of muscadine vines, all doing
great and filling me with hope for next year.

I got no interest in the company--just think they're nice folks with
great product and customer service.

I'll second that recommendation - great company to do business with! I
bought a dwarf black negron fig tree from them some years ago and
various toher things since. Despite keeping the fig in a pot (I knew
this house was "temporary"), it's doing very well. Tree is loaded with
figs at the moment. Hopefully, once we move into our new house and the
tree goes into the ground, there will be even more figgy goodness. *grin*

Oh man, now all I can thing about is melt in your mouth carmelized figs.

--
Susan
shsimko[at]duke[dot]edu
Old 04-08-2006, 08:48 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2006-08-03, laurie (Mother Mastiff) wrote:
Thanks, and it sure is good to hear from you again.

The soil is red clay, I put amendments in when I planted it, but not a big
wide basin of better soil, so friable it isn't. We have heat though!

So if you are watering too much it has no where to go.

1.5 inches per week is what you need. One deep watering is better than
many shallow waterings.

The figs are small, so it must be a Celeste it was not labeled but came from
a vendor at the Farmer's Market who SAID they only had Brown Turkey and
Celeste, and since the fruits are golf-ball size (though plentiful!), it
MUST be a Celeste.

There are several ripe fruits, but the hornets have gotten to them, moved
right over from the blueberry bushes. I have had some close calls where I
nearly picked a hornet with a berry.

Last year I waited too late into the fall to order figs from Paradise, hope
to order some earlier this year, the light green and a purple one, maybe. I
think these folks only select varieties that taste good, so I can have fun
imagining still life arrangements and choose colors accordingly....

laurie (Mother Mastiff)

news

wrote:

[...]

is a garbage address.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:02 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Susan, I'll bite--literally! Tell me how to make carmelized figs.

Sue

Old 05-08-2006, 12:13 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Hmmm. Was answering and it went into cyberspace. Apparently 22
"stuck" messages in Usenet from past 6 years have also gone out in my
attempts to retrieve. Eeeek.... who knows what they are and where
they are going!?
Anyway, as I was saying. my small figs in Durham were growing in
yard when house was purchased, so don't know specie. My current fig,
in Chatham, was bought at ACE Hardware on Guess Rd. in Durham (now
apparently defunct) and it was not labeled but they said it was Brown
Turkey. There are so many types, so who knows?
I'd love to try more, but this one tree gives more than I can use.
Deer enjoy from lower branches, and when I use all I can, I just pick
from the higher and make piles for the deer. They only discovered
last year that they like them. I think they thought they were
buckeyes.

Suggestion: Talking about carmelized figs and calfoutis.... how
about some fig recipes? I tend to make only jam, or eat them fresh
off the tree.
Cheers,
Kira
Old 05-08-2006, 07:05 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Susan H. Simko wrote:

Siouxzi wrote:

I bet if you email Paradise Nursery they'll help you with anything
else. Their web site is full of info. www.paradisenursery.com/

And you might be inspired to order a fig tree from them too. I got 4
different kinds this year, plus a couple of muscadine vines, all doing
great and filling me with hope for next year.

I got no interest in the company--just think they're nice folks with
great product and customer service.

Thought I posted about them yesterday, but I don't see it showing up - Paradise just sent an e-mail newsletter saying that 2007 will be their last year in the nursery biz. So if you want something from them, better get it ordered this year! Too bad, they did seem really good...

I'll second that recommendation - great company to do business with! I
bought a dwarf black negron fig tree from them some years ago and
various toher things since. Despite keeping the fig in a pot (I knew
this house was "temporary"), it's doing very well. Tree is loaded with
figs at the moment. Hopefully, once we move into our new house and the
tree goes into the ground, there will be even more figgy goodness. *grin*

Oh man, now all I can thing about is melt in your mouth carmelized figs.

--
Brent Harsh - KD4PBO /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Say
bharsh at ncroadrunner \ / NO to HTML in email and news.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:43 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Fig Recipes was Help, figs fall when near-ripe

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Kira Dirlik wrote:

...how about some fig recipes?

There are lots of fig recipes to be found on epicurious.com. From that
source, here's a different jam that is great with Manchego cheese as
suggested:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...s/views/105443

See the remarks for lots of suggestions for additions & substitutions and
for serving suggestions, but do try it with the sesame seeds and lemon
zest.

The second Pickled Figs

http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m0812F05.htm

recipe on this site, the one that uses pickling spices, sounds very much
like one I use and like. However, my recipe calls for some baking soda in
the initial 5 minute water soak. This is good with roasted meats.

Mostarda de Cremona is a wonderful condiment for meats.

http://italianfood.about.com/od/sauc.../r/blr0834.htm

So you could take the hint from this and use mustard in the proportions
suggested by the recipe instead of the pickling spices in the Pickled Figs
recipe.

Donna
Old 07-08-2006, 05:57 AM posted to triangle.gardens

We love this fig clafouti (pudding), a new chicken friend brought me a HUGE
bag of fresh figs and we ate clafouti all weekend. This makes too much to
fit into my standard glass pie pans, so I use a slightly deeper casserole
dish the same diameter.

http://magazines.ivillage.com/goodho...643150,00.html

enjoy!

How do you caramelize figs?

My tree is not dropping fruit now. However, today we photographed so many
kinds of insects enjoying the fruit, it was amazing! Great photo opp
though.

laurie (Mother Mastiff)

news:Pine.A41.4.63+UNC.0608051122520.44344@login6. isis.unc.edu...

Old 07-08-2006, 03:42 PM posted to triangle.gardens
jan jan is offline

In general,

This website here, Ray's Figs:
http://home.planters.net/~thegivans/faq.html