Old 01-08-2006, 01:31 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Mosquitos, Garlic repellent

Our backyard is INFESTED with mosquitos. You could walk outside at any time
of day and within 5 minutes have 10 or 20 bites. There is no standing water
whatsoever in our yard, the gutters are clean. I think we have bad neighbors
is all.

So...

We just bought the 1 quart bottle of this:

http://www.mosquitobarrier.com/

and last night sprayed it all over the backyard with a hose end sprayer. So
far so good. I went out this morning and didnt see any mosquitos.

Has anyone else had any experience with this product or products like it?
What concentration did you use? How much have you gone through? How long has
it lasted?

Old 01-08-2006, 06:48 PM posted to triangle.gardens

In article ,
"Peter F." wrote:

Our backyard is INFESTED with mosquitos. You could walk outside at any time
of day and within 5 minutes have 10 or 20 bites. There is no standing water
whatsoever in our yard, the gutters are clean. I think we have bad neighbors
is all.

So...

We just bought the 1 quart bottle of this:

http://www.mosquitobarrier.com/

and last night sprayed it all over the backyard with a hose end sprayer. So
far so good. I went out this morning and didnt see any mosquitos.

Has anyone else had any experience with this product or products like it?
What concentration did you use? How much have you gone through? How long has
it lasted?

Interesting! Here's the patent citation (from 1998):

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...HITOFF&d=PALL&
p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50 &s1=5733552.PN.&OS=PN/5
733552&RS=PN/5733552

I have had good luck using a permethrin spray (about $10 for enough to
treat my front and back yard twice - Home Depot). The only concern is
its effects on bees so don't spray any flowers upon which they forage.
Not toxic to humans or animals as used.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:11 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Peter F. wrote:
Our backyard is INFESTED with mosquitos. You could walk outside at any time
of day and within 5 minutes have 10 or 20 bites. There is no standing water
whatsoever in our yard, the gutters are clean. I think we have bad neighbors
is all.

So...

We just bought the 1 quart bottle of this:

http://www.mosquitobarrier.com/

and last night sprayed it all over the backyard with a hose end sprayer. So
far so good. I went out this morning and didnt see any mosquitos.

Has anyone else had any experience with this product or products like it?
What concentration did you use? How much have you gone through? How long has
it lasted?

I love it. I use it quite a bit. I add oil to mine. I have my neighbor
who come over to my house because they cant use their own back yard. I
really does work. You have to use it a lot in the beginning. I would
spray every night for now.

Jo
Old 01-08-2006, 10:20 PM posted to triangle.gardens

In article , "Peter F." wrote:
Our backyard is INFESTED with mosquitos. You could walk outside at any time
of day and within 5 minutes have 10 or 20 bites. There is no standing water
whatsoever in our yard, the gutters are clean. I think we have bad neighbors
is all.

How 'bout this as an alternative:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/nreos/wild/w...mmals/bats.htm
Old 02-08-2006, 07:34 PM posted to triangle.gardens

What would you classify as "alot"? I used a hose-end sprayer, put 9 oz of
the stuff inside, set the nozzle to 3 oz per gallon, and sprayed down the
backyard. We checked yesterday afternoon and there were some mosquitos still
left, so I'm thinking I really needed to up the dosage. What amounts are you
using, Jo?

We really arent crazy about the idea of chemicals, especially permetherin,
because of our dog. She thinks she's a cow, and eats the grass CONSTANTLY.
So chemicals arent really gonna work for us.

Also, not enough yard clearance for a bat house and we arent close enough to
water anyhow. Same thing for blue martins, which I also hear are rabid
mosquito eaters.

Old 03-08-2006, 07:52 PM posted to triangle.gardens

"Jo" wrote in message

Peter F. wrote:

[...]

I have been applying it several days in a row when I see the mossies.

Jo
Old 29-08-2006, 03:43 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Ordered, received, and tried this stuff.

At least in our yard...it does NOT work.

Tried multiple applications. Different strengths. With and without
soap/oil. No change in skeeter population.

Unused portion went in the mail this morning for refund.

--
John

Old 30-08-2006, 06:56 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Actually, I was being dense. I now see the older post about bats.

I was actually thinking about building some bat houses...but have yet
to do any research on whether I might be successful or not.

Anybody out there have any ideas/thoughts about promoting bats as a
mosquito deterrent? Anybody have some good references to a bat house
design? Suggestions for attracting bats to new houses?

And how about the rabies issue?
--
John

Old 30-08-2006, 07:03 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Boy oh boy...I should probably stop drinking so much coffee...my
fingers are working much faster than my brain. I'm going to stop and
take deep breaths before responding for the rest of the day. I
actually followed the link about bats in this post and found a bat
house and tips on attracting bats.

So, I guess my question still remains...has anybody in this area put up
bat houses? Any success luring bats?

Thanks,
John

Old 01-09-2006, 05:06 PM posted to triangle.gardens

yes, but... what about THIS?

Nosmo King wrote:
In article , "Peter F." wrote:
Our backyard is INFESTED with mosquitos. You could walk outside at any time
of day and within 5 minutes have 10 or 20 bites. There is no standing water
whatsoever in our yard, the gutters are clean. I think we have bad neighbors
is all.

How 'bout this as an alternative:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/nreos/wild/w...mmals/bats.htm

I suspect your risk of getting killed in a traffic accident are far
greater than either black widow bites or rabies.

I am pretty sure 43443 people did not die of either of these or the
combination of black widow bites and rabies.

And don't get me started on the Mad Cow Disease hysteria.

is a garbage address.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:08 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2006-08-30, Teech wrote:
Maybe i'm being dense...but what does a rabid bat story have to do with
the garlic/anti-mosquito product?

rabid bats bite
black widows bite
Mosquitos bite (sell penetrate and suck actually) but we call the bumps
mosquito bites.

--
John

Old 01-09-2006, 05:14 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2006-08-30, Teech wrote:
Actually, I was being dense. I now see the older post about bats.

I was actually thinking about building some bat houses...but have yet
to do any research on whether I might be successful or not.

Anybody out there have any ideas/thoughts about promoting bats as a
mosquito deterrent? Anybody have some good references to a bat house
design? Suggestions for attracting bats to new houses?

And how about the Rabies issue?

From what I have read smaller boxes have the least chance of attracting
bats. Larger houses have a greater than 50% chance of attracting some.
They are temperature sensitive so location is also important. I have a
book on bat houses but have not had a chance to build one. Looks like
it takes most of a sheet of plywood to make a decent one. And you need
a southern or eastern exposure - I think it has been awhile since I read
it.
--
John

Nosmo King wrote:
In article , "Peter F." wrote:
Our backyard is INFESTED with mosquitos. You could walk outside at any time
of day and within 5 minutes have 10 or 20 bites. There is no standing water
whatsoever in our yard, the gutters are clean. I think we have bad neighbors
is all.

How 'bout this as an alternative:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/nreos/wild/w...mmals/bats.htm

is a garbage address.

garlic as bug repellent? Todd[_2_] Gardening 4 29-08-2012 09:52 PM
@#*%!^ mosquitos Phisherman Gardening 16 26-07-2003 09:12 AM
Mosquitos!!! Consumer Reports testing Magnet and Trap models... JayPomp Gardening 19 19-06-2003 02:08 PM
Mosquitos!!! Iris Cohen Gardening 0 18-06-2003 10:32 PM
OT - Mosquitos Are Coming! TOM KAN PA Gardening 0 01-02-2003 01:43 AM