Old 23-09-2006, 01:38 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Ants II.b.1.

This isn't exactly on topic WRT little black ants, but
I was thinking about it yesterday as I watched the
hummingbirds. I've never noticed them doing it here
in North Carolina--we don't have as many hummers here
as we did in Louisiana, and I"ve got less time for
looking at them. But if you've got those tiny ants
in your yard, and a hummingbird feeder, you've probably
had the ants find the feeder.

I was recalling yesterday how I'd watch the hummingbirds
hovering above the feeder, picking the ants off the
wire holding the feeder. :-) "This is great--if you
get them coming back UP the wire, they're stuffed full
of sugar water!" :-)

http://www.duke.edu/~kuzen001/spinaltap.htm
Ken Kuzenski AC4RD ken . kuzenski at duke .edu
All disclaimers apply, see? www.duke.edu/~kuzen001
Old 25-09-2006, 03:56 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Yep, their little tongues dart out and grab the ants--dessert! But the
ants would crawl inside the little plastic "flower" catheter that the
hummers drink from, die there, and be impossible to extract completely
during cleaning. So I took to applying vaseline to the wire that the
feeder hangs from, and that got rid of the ants. Come to think of it,
that might be about the time they started invading the house. ;^)

Cheers
Sue

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 12:38:58 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

This isn't exactly on topic WRT little black ants, but
I was thinking about it yesterday as I watched the
hummingbirds. I've never noticed them doing it here
in North Carolina--we don't have as many hummers here
as we did in Louisiana, and I"ve got less time for
looking at them. But if you've got those tiny ants
in your yard, and a hummingbird feeder, you've probably
had the ants find the feeder.

I was recalling yesterday how I'd watch the hummingbirds
hovering above the feeder, picking the ants off the
wire holding the feeder. :-) "This is great--if you
get them coming back UP the wire, they're stuffed full
of sugar water!" :-)

http://www.duke.edu/~kuzen001/spinaltap.htm
Ken Kuzenski AC4RD ken . kuzenski at duke .edu
All disclaimers apply, see? www.duke.edu/~kuzen001

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 04:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
ants in worm farm Mousie Australia 8 02-04-2003 10:20 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM