Old 13-10-2006, 04:19 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Are Apex soil and veg plants SAFE after fire?

I woke up that morning with a nasty sore throat. A couple of baby chicks in
an outside pen died.

I was not in the evacuation area, BUT, my yard was full of smoke, which the
rain precipitated into my yard.

The fall garden looks the best this year EVER. Where or how would I find
out if there is an affordable independent lab to test the soil and veggies?
I need to know if my longtime organic garden was tainted by the toxins in
the smoke from the fire.

Anyone have any ideas?

laurie (Mother Mastiff)

Old 13-10-2006, 06:11 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2006-10-13, laurie (Mother Mastiff) wrote:
I woke up that morning with a nasty sore throat. A couple of baby chicks in
an outside pen died.

I was not in the evacuation area, BUT, my yard was full of smoke, which the
rain precipitated into my yard.

The fall garden looks the best this year EVER. Where or how would I find
out if there is an affordable independent lab to test the soil and veggies?
I need to know if my longtime organic garden was tainted by the toxins in
the smoke from the fire.

Anyone have any ideas?

laurie (Mother Mastiff)

You probably want to check with Wake County Health Dept I would expect
they or the state should have taken samples down wind of the fire.

Possibly the extension service or NCSU might have some advice.

I don't know how far you were away or how dense the smoke was, but
that might be a factor. Unless you had a lot of smoke that actually
discolored, fences, houses, cars would I feel there is a lot of
concern. YOur odds of dying from the smoke is very much less than dying
from a trip via automobile in the next 10 years.

Probably you have a cold. Baby chicks do die on their own sometimes.

is a garbage address.
Old 13-10-2006, 06:43 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 17:11:05 GMT in wrote:

Probably you have a cold. Baby chicks do die on their own sometimes.

That or it was a psychosomatic response...

--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up
Old 13-10-2006, 10:35 PM posted to triangle.gardens

http://www.apexfireclaims.com

Old 14-10-2006, 06:14 AM posted to triangle.gardens

laurie (Mother Mastiff) wrote:
I woke up that morning with a nasty sore throat. A couple of baby chicks in
an outside pen died.

I was not in the evacuation area, BUT, my yard was full of smoke, which the
rain precipitated into my yard. ...

I'll bet someone was burning trash nearby. I really can't believe the
'cloud' would have made it that far from Apex.

- Susan

Old 14-10-2006, 10:50 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Probably you have a cold. Baby chicks do die on their own sometimes.

That or it was a psychosomatic response...

No, woke up with a bad sore throat, don't watch TV and hadn't heard the
radio, so had no idea what had happened till I got worried calls from my
mother in FL and friends out west. Not a cold, because I had no further
symptoms such as runny nose, sore throat was gone in 2 days. I do have
asthma, even vehicle exhaust from driving to work in bad traffic bothers me.

Baby chicks do die, though not many die here (only one age group, and it was
4 out of 16, an unusually high percentage, usually I lose on average one in
every 50-80 chicks). The ones that died were broilers, which are my first,
maybe they are more delicate than my rare breeds.

And I DO live in Apex, the other side of US-1 from the fire. Smelled the
smoke in the air. Was glad there was a lot of rain to dilute whatever the
rain was bringing to earth.

laurie (Mother Mastiff)

Old 17-10-2006, 05:53 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2006-10-14, laurie (Mother Mastiff) wrote:
[...]

How far to the other side of US1? and what direction? Southwest,
south, Southeast? I would think south/southwest would be worse but...

I understand though that the smoke was following low lying areas which
is why they evacuated up to US64 which is more northeast of the fire.
Plus, the winds did not pickup until many hours after the fire.

Hope you have had no new potential reactions or lost any more chickens.

is a garbage address.
Old 17-10-2006, 05:57 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2006-10-14, Susan Hogarth wrote:
laurie (Mother Mastiff) wrote:
I woke up that morning with a nasty sore throat. A couple of baby chicks in
an outside pen died.

I was not in the evacuation area, BUT, my yard was full of smoke, which the
rain precipitated into my yard. ...

I'll bet someone was burning trash nearby. I really can't believe the
'cloud' would have made it that far from Apex.

- Susan

It was pretty windless for the first 12 hours of the fire. Smoke rises
as long as it is warmer than the air, but when it cools those
particulates tend to stay where they are for a long time.

It was heading east into lowlying areas acting more like a fluid than a
gas.

Theaters with smoke("fog") machines often run it over a chamber cooled
with dry ice to get it to stay lower. I ordered one for a company when
I had my shop.

is a garbage address.