Old 16-04-2003, 10:09 PM
Beth Peace

Default Any nurseries specialize in grasses?

I'm looking for a couple of ornamental grasses that are listed on the plant
list for our revamped front yard and I'm either looking too early or in the
wrong place. Are there any nurseries that seem to carry a lot of varieties
(preferably in the Cary/Apex area)?

I'm specifically looking for a couple of dwarf fountain grasses (Pennisetum
alopecuroides 'Hameln' and 'Moudry') and a dwarf zebra (unspecified
variety).

I'm having fun with the rest of the list, though, finding a few at a time
and planting them before going out for more!

Beth

Old 17-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Anne Lurie

Well, Beth, right before I read your post, I was looking at the Plant
Delights website. Here's the page for "Fountain Grass":
http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog...e67.html#00635

I'm not sure whether these are dwarf varieties, though -- after all, the
plants don't read the catalogue! (That's actually a quote from me about 20
years ago, when I planted a "Dwarf Nectarine" -- Hah, the joke was on me!)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh
____________________

link.net...

Old 17-04-2003, 02:44 AM
Beth Peace

Believe me, I've drooled over the PD catalog ;-). I'll be at their open
house in May 'cause they have a couple of items I want, but they don't have
any of the dwarf fountain grasses. The two specified on our plans are
1.5-2.5' tall.

Beth

Anne Lurie wrote:
Well, Beth, right before I read your post, I was looking at the Plant
Delights website. Here's the page for "Fountain Grass":
http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog...e67.html#00635

I'm not sure whether these are dwarf varieties, though -- after
all, the plants don't read the catalogue! (That's actually a quote
from me about 20 years ago, when I planted a "Dwarf Nectarine" --
Hah, the joke was on me!)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh
____________________

link.net...

Old 17-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Pat Brothers

The ornamental grasses are just breaking dormancy. Both Moudry and
Hameln should be readily available at your favorite local nursery. I
don't think Tony carries Moudry any more. There are reseeding issues
with this cultivar. It is awfully pretty though. There is a dwarf zebra
- Kurt Alexander is the cultivar, I think. Have not seen that available
yet. My current favorite small grass is a stipa - about 18 inches and
like soft hair blowing in the breeze. Very fond of the various carex
too. Good luck.

Beth Peace wrote:

I'm looking for a couple of ornamental grasses that are listed on the plant
list for our revamped front yard and I'm either looking too early or in the
wrong place. Are there any nurseries that seem to carry a lot of varieties
(preferably in the Cary/Apex area)?

I'm specifically looking for a couple of dwarf fountain grasses (Pennisetum
alopecuroides 'Hameln' and 'Moudry') and a dwarf zebra (unspecified
variety).

I'm having fun with the rest of the list, though, finding a few at a time
and planting them before going out for more!

Beth

Pat Brothers

The Powell House
Wake Forest, NC
and the Perennials Lady at Atlantic Ave. Orchid and Garden Center

bamboos specialize a1flors Bamboo 2 09-10-2011 04:27 AM
Dramatic, colorful grasses perk up any landscape [email protected] Gardening 1 26-02-2010 02:59 AM
Any recommendations for nurseries in the Looe area of Cornwall ?? sporty United Kingdom 4 07-09-2005 10:49 PM
Any nurseries specialize in grasses? Beth Peace North Carolina 3 01-05-2003 05:47 PM
Trimming back ornamental grasses: Dallas Blue and another Todd W. Roat Gardening 1 30-01-2003 02:16 PM