Old 28-01-2007, 04:45 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Castor Bean plants or Privet?? Ailanthus?

I am a fiber artist and have a chance to get some viable cocoons of a wild
silk moth that eats either castor bean leaves or privet leaves and
apparently not much else. (I want to raise the moths, eggs, worms, and then
process the silk from the cocoons, to document the process).

Don't castor bean plants go dormant? And ailanthus?

But aren't privets evergreen like boxwood? The woman who has been raising
these moths year around near Myrtle Beach has raised them successfully on
nothing but privet (with some castor leaves in summer).

It is so hard to find viable cocoons of the wild silk moths, I REALLY don't
want to miss this chance, but I have no privet, and no logical place to
plant any. (Plus, if I bought some, I could not be sure the plants had not
been sprayed, and might have residue, but most folks on this list know if or
when they sprayed....)

Does anyone around Apex/RTP area have BIG healthy (spray-free of course)
privet bushes that could tolerate a light, even pruning for about 3 weeks?
Apparently the moths would be ready to emerge from their cocoons in a week
or so. They won't eat much till the 3rd and 4th weeks, but by then their
appetites will be prodigious (I know because I am currently raising domestic
silk worms on commercial powdered mulberry leaves).

I would need to harvest an increasing quantity of small branches every few
days. If the branches keep fresh in water, I could come a little less
often, but the leaves have to be fresh and healthy to make healthy moths.

Silk worms increase 10,000-fold from egg to old enough to spin a cocoon, so
we would need LOTS of fresh privet branches.

The moth is similar to a polyphemus, but a richer brown with some cream and
lavender.
http://cse-ferg41.unl.edu/pub/leps/i...l?page=cynthia

If I can find enough privet plants to feed a clutch or two of eggs, I will
be glad to post or email photos of each step of the process, so the entire
group can enjoy it.

Got privet?? (Or fresh ailanthus or castor bean?)

Thanks!

laurie (Mother Mastiff)

Old 03-02-2007, 01:05 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Interesting info! Thanks for sharing pics. I don't got privet but I
sho get a lot of Castor Oil Bean plant volunteers come spring. Let me
know if you still need them by then.
Minnie

Old 03-02-2007, 02:40 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Hi Minnie,

Thanks, I will take you up on that, the cocoons arrived yesterday and will
start to eclose (hatch) in several weeks, then the moths lay eggs over a
period of about a week. The eggs take 21-28 days to hatch, and THEN I will
really NEED tender young leaves from castor, ailanthus, privet, and
ligustrum. It isn't that much time when you are talking about plants.

I will be happy to swap something for the leaves, I will need a RELIABLE
supply of leaves for 4-5 weeks.

laurie (Mother Mastiff)

ups.com...

Old 09-02-2007, 02:28 AM posted to triangle.gardens

On Feb 3, 8:40 am, "laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)"
wrote:
Hi Minnie,

Thanks, I will take you up on that, the cocoons arrived yesterday and will
start to eclose (hatch) in several weeks, then the moths lay eggs over a
period of about a week. The eggs take 21-28 days to hatch, and THEN I will
really NEED tender young leaves from castor, ailanthus, privet, and
ligustrum. It isn't that much time when you are talking about plants.

I will be happy to swap something for the leaves, I will need a RELIABLE
supply of leaves for 4-5 weeks.

laurie (Mother Mastiff)

ups.com...

wrote:
[...]

laurie (Mother Mastiff)- Hide quoted text -

OK. I'll let you know when the castors wake up.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:19 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Looking for Worm Castings in the Holly Springs area

Does anyone know of a garden supply or other operation that has worm
castings for sale in the area? I've checked Logans in Raleigh and the
Garden Hut in Fuquay-Varina but haven't had any luck yet.

Thanks,

Old 08-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Registered User

Hi There
I am new to worm farming and i didnt know where to start but just wanted to give it a go. So thought i would have a search around the internet to see what info was available and couldnt really find much! However i did find a really great book to download which was incredibly informative and really easy to read. Now I am so excited as i have a better understanding as a complete novice and i highly recommend it to anyone starting out.
I found it under this website: Beginners Guide to Starting a Worm Farm

would appreciate any further advice from anyone.

Allotment Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie \(Mother Mastiff\) View Post

Old 27-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Registered User

[...]

What I'm only sure is that castor beans grow pretty fast, even without much care or even much pest sprays. They grow up to about 2-5meters. This depends on your area. They grow better in mild weather. What I also know is that they shouldn't be used in cultivation since they're extremely poisonous.