Old 17-04-2003, 07:44 AM
laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)

Default Fragrant purple roses! was Which darn catalog?

Only get one. Roses grow and usually rather quickly. Two would be way
too much for the pot at full size. You may want to verify that these
minis will survive in a pot that size long term.

Whew! Glad I only need 4 and not 8!

This cultivar (under several different names) is sold largely for hanging
baskets. From what I have read on a number of web pages, it is better
adapted to hanging baskets than other minis because of its tendency to
spread or trail. My hanging baskets (measured them today) are 14" across.

http://www.uncommongarden.com/r/sweetchariot.html describes its growth
habit, and look at the color!

Minis have the same
light requirements as full size roses. Do you get at least 6 hours of
direct light on your porch or, at least on the spot where the baskets
would hang?

Yes, the front porch faces south.

I have bluish lavender, lavender and white, and pinky-lavender glads;
echinacea; and Stargazer lilies across the front of the house below the
porch, and three very healthy and happy bushes of Secret (HT). If the large
roses are happy, there must be enough light.

I'm another purple / lavendar / mauve fan and a major rose lover. I
have two Blue Girl rose bushes in my front yard that tend to bloom
lavendar. (Purple is also the major accent colour inside my house.

How fragrant is Blue Girl? What kind of scent?

I have read literally hundreds of descriptions of minis and large roses
since I posted the initial query (obsessive tech writer!), and it appears
that nearly all minis are practically fragrance free, except for the purple
ones, and they are very fragrant. Finally someone is getting it right!

For full-sized roses, I plan to order Jackson & Perkins Lavender Twilight
collection,
http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/cgi...play?prmenbr=2
01&category_sel=68&prrfnbr=53341

which has three very different purple roses, all fragrant. I am also sorely
tempted by Tigress, not only is it fragrant and flashy, my kennel name is
similar, Tigris (for the river by which the ancestors of my dogs hunted in
1800 BC).
http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/cgi...splay?cgmenbr=
201&cgrfnbr=70&header_sel=

I currently have no lavenders (Streisand was in a small bed out by the road
and croaked last summer in the drought when I was laid up and couldn't drag
a hose that far). Have you tried Barbra Streisand? Lovely color and shape
and a lot of fragrance.

I am also considering (if the remnants of the tax refund aren't gone by
then) a grandiflora called Fragrant Plum.

http://www.heirloomroses.com/express...at=38&item=588

And either Blue Girl or Stainless Steel for something pale and elegant.

Then I will be out of bed space across the front of the house!

laurie (purple AND fragrant? Absolute HEAVEN!!!)

-- laurie brooke adams (Mother Mastiff) mastiffs at mindspring dot-com
***If a DOG could choose whether to just be beautiful, or to be sound
and healthy TOO, what do YOU think the dog would choose?***
(C) 2003 My words are my own. If you want to use them, ASK ME FIRST.

Exchequer Leghorns, Welsummers, several lines of Marans, some with feather
legs
Chicks only, accepting reservations now for 2003

Old 17-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Susan H. Simko

laurie (Mother Mastiff) wrote:

Whew! Glad I only need 4 and not 8!

This cultivar (under several different names) is sold largely for
hanging baskets. From what I have read on a number of web pages, it
is better adapted to hanging baskets than other minis because of its
tendency to spread or trail. My hanging baskets (measured them
today) are 14" across.

http://www.uncommongarden.com/r/sweetchariot.html describes its
growth habit, and look at the color!

Gorgeous! If I had more light on my front porch, I'ld do the same
thing. Alas, my porch is more suited to fuschia than roses.

I've not bought anything from the Uncommon Rose but have heard good
things about them from those who have.

Yes, the front porch faces south.

Lucky woman. *grin*

I have bluish lavender, lavender and white, and pinky-lavender glads;
echinacea; and Stargazer lilies across the front of the house below
the porch, and three very healthy and happy bushes of Secret (HT).
If the large roses are happy, there must be enough light.

Sounds like we have similar tastes though I am a little more eclectic
with my colour mixes outside. It's mostly purple, mauves, pinks and
white but there are some splashes of other colours through out.

How fragrant is Blue Girl? What kind of scent?

It's probably the least fragrant rose I grow. Sorry. I honestly don't
know if I would have bought them any other way aside for as the impulse
buy that they were. My favourite rose I grow right now for fragrance is
the absolutely gorgeous Double Delight. She starts out cream with red
edges as a bud and slowly tursn dark red as she ages. Incredible scent.
I bought one from Jackson & Perkins and then bought another last
weekend at Lowes simply because it had blooms on it. *grin*

I have read literally hundreds of descriptions of minis and large
roses since I posted the initial query (obsessive tech writer!), and
it appears that nearly all minis are practically fragrance free,
except for the purple ones, and they are very fragrant. Finally
someone is getting it right!

Have you looked at the scentsational line? I have Overnight Scentsation
in my front bed. A very pretty mauve coloured bloom with great scent.
Since I'm a scent fanatic, a rose has to be drop dead gorgeous for me to
even consider buying it if it has no scent.

THe minis I currently have planted a Overnight Scentsation, Dazzler
(kind of like a miniature Double Delight), Center Gold (yellow), and
Golden Halo (yellow). All of mine came from Nor'East as I didn't want
to pay separate shipping charges for each plant.

For full-sized roses, I plan to order Jackson & Perkins Lavender
Twilight collection,
http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/cgi...play?prmenbr=2
01&category_sel=68&prrfnbr=53341

which has three very different purple roses, all fragrant. I am also
sorely tempted by Tigress, not only is it fragrant and flashy, my
kennel name is similar, Tigris (for the river by which the ancestors
of my dogs hunted in 1800 BC).
http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/cgi...splay?cgmenbr=
201&cgrfnbr=70&header_sel=

As I have told people interested in roses, ordering from Jackson &
Perkins is a very different experience than buying a J&P labelled rose
at Lowes or Home Depot. For one thing, ordering direct you are going to
get what you want plus lots of info on the rose. Picking one up at
Lowees or HD, you better know what you're shopping for and be able to
identify it by sight as things aren't always labelled or may be mislabelled.

I currently have no lavenders (Streisand was in a small bed out by
the road and croaked last summer in the drought when I was laid up
and couldn't drag a hose that far). Have you tried Barbra Streisand?
Lovely color and shape and a lot of fragrance.

Not yet. Don't feed the obsession. *grin* THough I do have a spot in
the backyard that I'm thinking may be just perfect for a rose.... *laugh*

And either Blue Girl or Stainless Steel for something pale and
elegant.

I just put in Pristine but I planted her more for her thorns than
anything else. *grin* She's on an embankment on the back of our lot
and I'm trying to discourage kids from messing with the bluebird boxes
back there and other things. I also put in Chrysler Imperial for the
same reason. (Backyard has no colour theme - it's mostly vegetables,
herbs and blueberry bushes.)

Then I will be out of bed space across the front of the house!

I hit that point last year. So when I wanted to put in Double Delight
in one of my beds, I simply *had* to dig up the chrysanthemums. Took
some real arm twisting there. *NOT*

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu

Old 18-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Diane

Susan H. Simko wrote:

snip

As I have told people interested in roses, ordering from Jackson &
Perkins is a very different experience than buying a J&P labelled rose
at Lowes or Home Depot. For one thing, ordering direct you are going to
get what you want plus lots of info on the rose. Picking one up at
Lowees or HD, you better know what you're shopping for and be able to
identify it by sight as things aren't always labelled or may be
mislabelled.

I've been very happy with mail orders from Jackson and Perkins.

I currently have no lavenders (Streisand was in a small bed out by
the road and croaked last summer in the drought when I was laid up
and couldn't drag a hose that far). Have you tried Barbra Streisand?
Lovely color and shape and a lot of fragrance.

Not yet. Don't feed the obsession. *grin* THough I do have a spot in
the backyard that I'm thinking may be just perfect for a rose.... *laugh*

Yes, please, don't feed it! I opted for Blueberry Hill this year instead of
Barbra, but am still feeling sorely tempted by Barbra. My back is keeping
me from the purchase since I will have to create another amended bed in my
red Carolina clay to make room. I will let you know how how Blueberry
Hill rates for color and fragrance in a few months. I purchased this one
locally in a pot.

And either Blue Girl or Stainless Steel for something pale and
elegant.

Lagerfeld rates in the pale and elegant category with a great fragrance too,
but is not a robust rose. Requires pampering. But worth it for the color
and bloom form.

Diane

--
Diane
Old 18-04-2003, 12:08 PM
laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)

Sounds like we have similar tastes though I am a little more eclectic
with my colour mixes outside. It's mostly purple, mauves, pinks and
white but there are some splashes of other colours through out.

Ah. Possibly due to the influence of a childhood in the US Marines, I have
a marked inability to appreciate anything that is very red or yellow. g
Granada being a happy exception (it was my first rose, and with Angel Face
and Double Delight, established my expectation that all worthwhile roses
should be beautiful AND fragrant).

There are coral color, peachy, apricot, and coffee-colored flowers I adore,
but for once I wanted an actual theme. I wanted to see how much variety I
could encompass while staying within the family of
blue-purple-lavender-pink-white.

So far, so good, but I can't afford to replace the two big beds of orange
roadside daylilies with pink or purple ones, and didn't have the heart to
take out the two ancient huge shrimp colored mini azaleas. So there IS some
contrast, in spite of me. Just not red or yellow.

Not yet. Don't feed the obsession. *grin* THough I do have a spot in
the backyard that I'm thinking may be just perfect for a rose.... *laugh*

Hey, I thought obsessions were like roses (or colds) and ~needed~ feeding???
vbg

Old 18-04-2003, 12:44 PM
C G

[...]

If your looking for minis, I've always had good luck with Nor'East
Miniature Roses.

http://www.noreast-miniroses.com/bin/nemr2003.cgi

When I was younger and living up North, I visited their greenhouses
several times. They focus exclusively on minis. Since moving South, I
have ordered by mail several times. Service and quality has always been
excellent.

Chuck

Old 18-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Susan H. Simko

laurie (Mother Mastiff) wrote:

Ah. Possibly due to the influence of a childhood in the US Marines, I have
a marked inability to appreciate anything that is very red or yellow. g
Granada being a happy exception (it was my first rose, and with Angel Face
and Double Delight, established my expectation that all worthwhile roses
should be beautiful AND fragrant).

Maybe that's why I tend to have an aversion to blue - I grew up as an
Air Force brat. *grin*

There are coral color, peachy, apricot, and coffee-colored flowers I adore,
but for once I wanted an actual theme. I wanted to see how much variety I
could encompass while staying within the family of
blue-purple-lavender-pink-white.

Funny, I didn't intend it but the more I look at my front beds, I
realize that I do definitely have a theme going of
purple-lavender-pink-white with some touches of yellow here and there.
Just touches though right now as the overwhelming impression is of
purples and pinks. Purple bearded irises, purple and white with purple
violets (as groundcover), pink phlox, purple and white hyacinths, etc.

So far, so good, but I can't afford to replace the two big beds of orange
roadside daylilies with pink or purple ones, and didn't have the heart to
take out the two ancient huge shrimp colored mini azaleas. So there IS some
contrast, in spite of me. Just not red or yellow.

I ripped out azaleas to put in the mimiature roses. Azaleas just don't
do it for me as they only flower in the spring. I want more colour and
show than that for bed "anchor" plants.

Hey, I thought obsessions were like roses (or colds) and ~needed~ feeding???
vbg

You explain that to the s.o. *grin* The only encouraging part (to him)
of feeding the gardening/rose obsession is that it doesn't add to the
book collection/obsession. Well... at least not too much. *big grin*

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu

Old 19-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Anne Lurie

[hoping I've successfully snipped while simultaneously attributing posts to
the correct people]

"Susan H. Simko" wrote in message

Sounds like we have similar tastes though I am a little more eclectic
with my colour mixes outside. It's mostly purple, mauves, pinks and
white but there are some splashes of other colours through out.

I realize that I've been late jumping into this thread, but have you tried
Heirloom? I planted one a while back at the suggestion of my oldest &
dearest friend (from 4th grade!), and I smelled the Heirloom that was
blooming when I visited her recently -- Wow! It smelled really "rosy" to
me, much like a famous perfume (Joy by Patou?) that I couldn't stand to be
around because it was *so* rosy.

I love Double Delight, although I can't understand how the catalogues can
classify it according to color -- to me, it looks like vanilla ice cream
dipped in raspberry sauce -- but it smells wonderful. Another one I
recommend for fragrance is Abraham Darby -- I planted another one this
spring because I liked the smell so much. BTW, I know *nothing* about
growing roses -- I just know which ones I like!

As I have told people interested in roses, ordering from Jackson &
Perkins is a very different experience than buying a J&P labelled rose
at Lowes or Home Depot. For one thing, ordering direct you are going to
get what you want plus lots of info on the rose. Picking one up at
Lowees or HD, you better know what you're shopping for and be able to
identify it by sight as things aren't always labelled or may be

mislabelled.

After my really bad experience with my first -- and only -- mail order
with Jackson & Perkins, I confess that I'll stick with buying J&P at the
local garden center. Ordering individual plants from J&P probably works,
but I can NOT recommend buying any of their collections. (To be fair, J&P
did contact me after I posted about my experience with them from last year,
after I posted to the Garden Watchdog website. It was only pure luck that
they delivered the replacement plants when I was in town, as they *never*
contacted me after I gave them the requested delivery information.)

So, where is that rain they've been predicting, anyway? I knocked myself
out yesterday putting down fertilizer "before the storm" -- and nothing,
nada, zilch!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 20-04-2003, 08:32 AM
laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)

If your looking for minis, I've always had good luck with Nor'East
Miniature Roses.

http://www.noreast-miniroses.com/bin/nemr2003.cgi

When I was younger and living up North, I visited their greenhouses
several times. They focus exclusively on minis. Since moving South, I
have ordered by mail several times. Service and quality has always been
excellent.

Thanks Chuck, they have MORE fragrant minis than any site I have seen!
Couldn't find Sweet Chariot on their site though, and that is what I want
for my hanging baskets.

However, if I let Susan with the similar tastes sway me, I will be ripping
out the 35-yr old mini azaleas and putting in mini roses....
Scentsational, Pacesetter, Constellation....

Hey, are you guys egging me on??

Old 20-04-2003, 03:32 PM
C G

"laurie (Mother Mastiff)" wrote:

If your looking for minis, I've always had good luck with Nor'East
Miniature Roses.

http://www.noreast-miniroses.com/bin/nemr2003.cgi

When I was younger and living up North, I visited their greenhouses
several times. They focus exclusively on minis. Since moving South, I
have ordered by mail several times. Service and quality has always been
excellent.

Thanks Chuck, they have MORE fragrant minis than any site I have seen!
Couldn't find Sweet Chariot on their site though, and that is what I want
for my hanging baskets.

Welcome.

However, if I let Susan with the similar tastes sway me, I will be ripping
out the 35-yr old mini azaleas and putting in mini roses....
Scentsational, Pacesetter, Constellation....

Hmmm, interesting dilema. Azaleas are pretty for about 3-4 weeks in the
spring and just something green the rest of the year. Roses are pretty
in the summer and quite ugly during the winter.
Old 22-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Susan H. Simko

laurie (Mother Mastiff) wrote:

Thanks Chuck, they have MORE fragrant minis than any site I have seen!
Couldn't find Sweet Chariot on their site though, and that is what I want
for my hanging baskets.

I think that's one of the reason I like their site - they have a link to
a page dedicated to fragrant minis. I must admit to being a fragrance
bigot. I want a rose that has some scent! If I want fragrance-less
roses I'll go buy some from the grocery store.

However, if I let Susan with the similar tastes sway me, I will be ripping
out the 35-yr old mini azaleas and putting in mini roses....
Scentsational, Pacesetter, Constellation....

Ooooh I *love* to rip out azaleas because they are *so* boring!!!
*grin* They only have a few weeks of colour and interest compared to
the flush of colour and scent you get from roses.

BTW, my overnight scentsation is now set to bloom again. I also have aa
open bloom on my Dazzler. What tiny beauties they are!

Hey, are you guys egging me on??

Me? Are you really referring to ME? *grin*

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu