Old 27-02-2007, 01:53 PM posted to sas.misc.gardening,triangle.gardens

Default squirrels in flowers

My wife asked to find out if anyone has some ideas for keeping the squirrels
from destroying any and all flowers that she plants in pots or small garden
areas in our yard/portches, etc.

We have had problems with some in the past but this year they are digging up
every thing.

The dogs in the backyard aren't even deterring them from the pots on the
deck (maybe they are just lazy and don't chase them away).

Any ideas?

bob

Old 27-02-2007, 02:18 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 08:53:38 -0500 in Bob Overby wrote:
My wife asked to find out if anyone has some ideas for keeping the squirrels
from destroying any and all flowers that she plants in pots or small garden
areas in our yard/portches, etc.

We have had problems with some in the past but this year they are digging up
every thing.

The dogs in the backyard aren't even deterring them from the pots on the
deck (maybe they are just lazy and don't chase them away).

Any ideas?

Varmit rifle?

--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up
Old 27-02-2007, 02:49 PM posted to triangle.gardens

"Bob Overby" wrote in message
My wife asked to find out if anyone has some ideas for keeping the
squirrels from destroying any and all flowers that she plants in
pots or small garden areas in our yard/portches, etc.

We have had problems with some in the past but this year they are
digging up every thing.

The dogs in the backyard aren't even deterring them from the pots on
the deck (maybe they are just lazy and don't chase them away).

Any ideas?

bob

Cayenne pepper on their nuts?

Seriously though. I mix cayenne pepper with my bird seed and it has
all but eliminated squirrels (sometimes the young ones show up that
don't know about the pepper)

I would imagine it would need to be re-applied each time it rains.

BTW sas.misc.gardening cannot be accessed by those of us not working
at SAS

Old 28-02-2007, 09:25 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2007-02-27, me wrote:

"Bob Overby" wrote in message
My wife asked to find out if anyone has some ideas for keeping the
squirrels from destroying any and all flowers that she plants in
pots or small garden areas in our yard/portches, etc.

We have had problems with some in the past but this year they are
digging up every thing.

The dogs in the backyard aren't even deterring them from the pots on
the deck (maybe they are just lazy and don't chase them away).

Any ideas?

bob

Cayenne pepper on their nuts?

Seriously though. I mix cayenne pepper with my bird seed and it has
all but eliminated squirrels (sometimes the young ones show up that
don't know about the pepper)

I would imagine it would need to be re-applied each time it rains.

BTW sas.misc.gardening cannot be accessed by those of us not working
at SAS

What if it is a female squirrel?

An earlier post suggested a spray of cayenne pepper and garlic powder.
not sure about the water, but it was a teaspoon of each, boiled and
strained. Probably a gallon or two of water. I may try that one. It
is supposed to work for deer also.

is a garbage address.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:30 AM posted to sas.misc.gardening,triangle.gardens

"Bob Overby" wrote in message
My wife asked to find out if anyone has some ideas for keeping the
squirrels from destroying any and all flowers that she plants in pots or
small garden areas in our yard/portches, etc.

Feed them!

Old 03-03-2007, 07:37 PM posted to triangle.gardens

"bud" wrote in message
nk.net...
What does the pepper do to the birds?

I do not think birds have the olfactory equipment to be bothered. In
any case they seem to eat it up. You do need to use a fair amount to
discourage squirrels though.

http://icwdm.org/Prevention/birdfeeders.asp

Old 04-03-2007, 10:59 PM posted to triangle.gardens

I'm not sure if it is taste or smell, but hot pepper does not seem to bother
birds at all. My favorite recipe for "suet cakes" for birds was posted by a
bird bander, so I figure she knows! (not posted here, I mean, but on a
birdwatching mailing list)

OTOH, putting hot pepper in the mixture does not seem to bother the
squirrels, either........

Anne

"bud" wrote in message
nk.net...
What does the pepper do to the birds?

Old 05-03-2007, 08:25 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 18:28:34 GMT in et bud wrote:
What does the pepper do to the birds?

Nothing, they lack receptors for capsicum.