Old 18-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Siouxzi

Default What small tiller to buy, and where?

We want to buy a tiller this weekend.

Front tine is easier to use, right? So what should we look for, and
where's a good place to shop?

We do have heavy clay and rocks in our yard, but mainly we want a
tiller for our deep-bed gardens. The thing is, they're about 10X20
feet, framed in wood above ground, so we need something small and
maneuverable to use inside the beds.

What about those little Mantis tillers?--seems I recall good reviews
on this newsgroup last year.

We're tired of paying to rent the dang things... might as well get
one.

Sue sukoch at WNTdot SAS dot COM
Old 19-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Anne Lurie

I bought a small Mantis-type tiller made by TroyBilt at Lowe's last summer.

So far this year, I've used it to till the weeds into the veggie garden, dig
holes for planting azaleas & roses, and to *attempt* to deal with the mound
of topsoil I had delivered a few years ago, which has "turned to stone" over
the years. Frankly, the tiller would have been worth it if I used it only
on "Mount Topsoil"!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 19-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Trudi

What about those little Mantis tillers?

The Mantis is excellent. I've been using one for years. It outperformed
expectations.

Daniel B. Martin

Old 19-04-2003, 02:32 AM
Patti2cat

The Mantis is excellent.

But beware of tilling where there are many tree roots. The instructions that
came with our Mantis years ago neglected to warn that the gears can be stripped
by not backing off when roots are encountered, and, sure 'nuff, that's what
happened.

My only complaint about the Mantis is that ours is SO hard to crank when it's
been cold a/o unused for a long time.

Patti

Old 22-04-2003, 12:56 AM
Kevin Gamble

Siouxzi wrote:
We want to buy a tiller this weekend.

I have the small Honda tiller and it is wonderful. It's a four stroke so
it is a bit quieter, and you can get different attachments for it. It
starts first-time every-time. I "created" several new beds with it last
year tilling heavy clay and working in a soil ammendment. I also used
the digging attachment to dig down for putting in a stone walkway. It's
been a good buy!

Old 22-04-2003, 03:08 AM
Scott Donohoo

Kevin Gamble wrote in news:Yz_oa.32576$RE3.2391881
@twister.southeast.rr.com:

Siouxzi wrote:
We want to buy a tiller this weekend.

I have the small Honda tiller and it is wonderful. It's a four stroke so
it is a bit quieter, and you can get different attachments for it. It
starts first-time every-time. I "created" several new beds with it last
year tilling heavy clay and working in a soil ammendment. I also used
the digging attachment to dig down for putting in a stone walkway. It's
been a good buy!

Kevin,

Where did you get the attachments? I bought this tiller last year and,
after initially feeling a little guilty about the expense, decided
it was one of my best buys ever after tilling up a just a couple of beds.
I'd buy it again. But I can't find a place in the triangle that carries any
of the attachments.

-- Scott
Old 22-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Kevin Gamble

Scott Donohoo wrote:

I bought mine online from Kimco. I just looked and they list the
attachments forsale online as well:
http://www.kimcolawnandgarden.com/honharfgmint.html

Old 22-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Brent Harsh

Kevin Gamble wrote:

I bought mine online from Kimco. I just looked and they list the
attachments forsale online as well:
http://www.kimcolawnandgarden.com/honharfgmint.html

Ah, that little beast is the one my neighbor has... and lets me borrow... a
lot! It is really quiet and very light. Seemed to be enough for almost
all of my needs, although I did have another friend come by with a monster
rear-tine tiller to work through a major garden area.

--
Brent Harsh - KD4PBO
Cary, North Carolina, USA