GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   frost nipped trees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/157076-frost-nipped-trees.html)

Kevin Van Sant 19-04-2007 01:52 PM

frost nipped trees

When we had that late hard frost a week or so ago a couple of my trees
had all their new foliage totally wiped out. A fig, persimmon (fuyu)
and Idesia tree were the worst victims. Surprisingly a portion of
some the crepe myrtles were also hit. Not a week later those trees
look like winter. No green leaf at all.

I feel reasonably sure that they will rebound, this has to be just one
more event in nature that they are adapted to, but I'm curious what to
expect for this year. Anyone know? Will they try to start over, or
are they going to give up on fruit this year? I can't imagine that
they would just go dormant all year, but right now there's is no sign
of new buds or anything. Anything I should be doing to help?

Dwayne 19-04-2007 07:41 PM

frost nipped trees

You are in the south apparently. I am in Kansas and all my trees got hit
also. They all will put out new leaves and the peaches, plums, cherries,
and apples are starting to bloom again. Not new buds, but the ones thad
haddent opened before the freeze.

I think you can expect new leaves this year, but I dont know about the
fruit.

Dwayne

AB 23-04-2007 07:30 PM

frost nipped trees

My fig was hit pretty hard too, but I looked yesterday and saw some
hints of green buds starting to come out. You should still get a crop
of figs if the tree survives. The first figs of the year are the ones
that were just coming out, but I never really bother with them. The
ones that come later on seem to always taste better and the first crop
is usually very sparse. The second round of figs haven't budded yet
so while the tree may not produce as much since it was damaged by the
frost, it still should produce some fruit.

Angela