Old 11-05-2007, 01:41 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Poison Ivy

Just discovered that my backyard has plenty of poison Ivy growing. This
in the woods that belong to me. What is the best way to kill them?
Googling it, I found its not easy to kill, but there is hope. Has anyone
tried the salt+detergent+vinegar combination with any good results?
Old 11-05-2007, 02:22 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On May 11, 7:41 am, Bluebee wrote:
Just discovered that my backyard has plenty of poison Ivy growing. This
in the woods that belong to me. What is the best way to kill them?
Googling it, I found its not easy to kill, but there is hope. Has anyone
tried the salt+detergent+vinegar combination with any good results?

I have had good luck with Roundup or most any non-selective weed
killer. The problem is how to prevent the re-growth/sprouting of new
plants.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:16 PM posted to triangle.gardens

"Bluebee" wrote in message
Just discovered that my backyard has plenty of poison Ivy growing.
This in the woods that belong to me. What is the best way to kill
them? Googling it, I found its not easy to kill, but there is hope.
Has anyone tried the salt+detergent+vinegar combination with any
good results?

The only long term success I have had is to get in there well covered
with gloves, a shovel and a root puller and rip it out by the roots.
Be very careful if you burn it, because the smoke can spread the
resin, even into your lungs and eyes.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:10 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2007-05-11, Bluebee wrote:
Just discovered that my backyard has plenty of poison Ivy growing. This
in the woods that belong to me. What is the best way to kill them?
Googling it, I found its not easy to kill, but there is hope. Has anyone
tried the salt+detergent+vinegar combination with any good results?

That is like peeing on a forest fire.

Roundup. Read the label for dilution, then add a squirt of dishwashing
liquid in the water as a surfactant.

Roundup comes in 2 strengths. "lawn and garden" 18% Professional 41%

You can get 2.5 gallons of generic roundup from Agrisupply for $45.

Weedbegon will work also, but I prefer roundup if I don't have to worry
about killing grass.

is a garbage address.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:18 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2007-05-11, Philip Semanchuk wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

On May 11, 7:41 am, Bluebee wrote:
Just discovered that my backyard has plenty of poison Ivy growing. This
in the woods that belong to me. What is the best way to kill them?
Googling it, I found its not easy to kill, but there is hope. Has anyone
tried the salt+detergent+vinegar combination with any good results?

I have had good luck with Roundup or most any non-selective weed
killer. The problem is how to prevent the re-growth/sprouting of new
plants.

I'm an organic gardner and I attack poison ivy on my property with
mechanical means only. But a friend of mine recently alerted me to the
practice of cutting the stem of a plant and painting the cut with
Roundup. That minimizes the amount of Roundup that goes where you don't
want it. I was surprised that it was still effective this way but she
said it was.

Bluebee, it is certainly possible to remove by mechanical means, you
just have to get yourself into a biohazard mindset. Once you start
yanking up the ivy, be careful not to scratch an itch on your bare skin,
rub your eyes, or wipe sweat off your brow. That's the thing I find most
difficult to avoid.

For the occassional sprig that crops up I use the grocery bag method.
I use a plastic grocery bag as a glove. You can use a second bag to
collect it, or for the occassional lone one you then just pull the bag
off your hand, and toss it and the ivey in the trash. Grasp it as
closeto the ground as possible and pull gently. Most of the time it is
shallow rooted, but you maybe suprised to find the vine goes under leave
s for several inches or more before you find where it is rooted.

To prevent contaminating gloves I suggest you use sturdy rubber ones
that you wash with soap. If you do get the oil on fabric or leather,
you can vaporize the oil by putting the object in the dryer. Someone
told me boyscouts do this on sleeping bags instead of washing too often.
Good luck

is a garbage address.
Old 14-05-2007, 05:36 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On Fri, 11 May 2007 11:16:53 -0400 in Philip Semanchuk wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

I just limit all removal activities to the hand I don't use to wipe
my brow and limit work time to 45 minutes to an hour to be followed
immediately by a shower and sending all clothing through the washer.

I'm currently engaged in a mixed approach to removing the crap.
24D/Weedbegone to do initial knockdown on a large patch that
was trying to invade the yard, and an infestation snaked up several cedar
trees. Roundup for the other patches.
Lopping shears and muscle to remove it, and trupet creeper, and
virginia creeper, from a few trees.
Mowing a barrier on the edge of a neighbor's field that seems to be
infested with poison ivy.
Just pulling the small sprouts that show up along the flower beds.

The eldest step kid has also been offered a bounty of $2 for each new
infestation she finds. She doesn't seem to care about money tho'
as I've since pulled 3 new infestations on the route from her bus stop
to the door...

Good luck

--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up
Old 17-06-2007, 09:15 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Here's a key thing to do in order to slow it down. You'll never wipe
poison ivy out completely but, after you have killed the plants
growing in your immediate area, go scouting for a 'mother vine'. This
will be a large thick vine winding up a tree.
This is the plant that is putting out all the seed berries that birds
then carry all over the area. Knock one of those out, and you've
actually dealt it a setback. All other killing methods are fine,
you'll just have to do it every year.

Old 18-06-2007, 06:05 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2007-06-17, ncstockguy wrote:
Here's a key thing to do in order to slow it down. You'll never wipe
poison ivy out completely but, after you have killed the plants
growing in your immediate area, go scouting for a 'mother vine'. This
will be a large thick vine winding up a tree.
This is the plant that is putting out all the seed berries that birds
then carry all over the area. Knock one of those out, and you've
actually dealt it a setback. All other killing methods are fine,
you'll just have to do it every year.

Unfortunately we back up to a greenway/floodplain we have acres of areas
for "mother vines". I did decimate one behind me though. It was a
combo of english ivy and poison ivy. Roundup with squirt of dishwashing
liquid as a surfactant wiped out 95% on the first application.

On May 11, 7:41 am, Bluebee wrote:
Just discovered that my backyard has plenty of poison Ivy growing. This
in the woods that belong to me. What is the best way to kill them?
Googling it, I found its not easy to kill, but there is hope. Has anyone
tried the salt+detergent+vinegar combination with any good results?

is a garbage address.

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 10:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 12:22 PM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It -systemic killers rtih Lawns 0 17-05-2003 09:32 PM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It Chip G. Lawns 20 17-05-2003 04:20 PM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It Chip G. Gardening 21 17-05-2003 04:20 PM