Old 30-05-2007, 03:11 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Gardenia with leaves turning yellow

We have three gardenias in front of the house which get direct sunlight
until 2-3ish. Then they are in the shade the rest of the day. We recently
replaced one because its leaves turned yellow and fell off. This was two
weeks ago. Now the leaves on the new one have started to turn yellow around
the bottom (all the way from the bottom to probably 1/4 the way up). The
other two gardenias have always been fine. All three recently just bloomed
too. I was suprised the new one bloomed but it did. But now we are worried
that this new one will loose its leaves eventually too. I read on the
internet last night to add some epsom salt, so I did that. It is to combat
magnesium deficiency if I remember right. I'm thinking that particular
gardenia is getting too much water. It is on an automatic dripline and it
goes every other day for about 17 minutes. That particular gardenia is on
the end of the dripline but the dripline wraps around the bush to tie off
the line. I turned the dripline off yesterday to see if that will help any.
Anyone else have any ideas on why this one gardenia could be turning yellow?
Poor drainage maybe? I understand some leaves will turn yellow and just
fall off, part of being a plant but the whole bottom prortion should not be
turning yellow

Thank you!

Old 30-05-2007, 03:58 PM posted to triangle.gardens

"David Cagle" wrote in message
[...]

This may be unrelated, but I found that my large gardinia had white
fly. This was causing the same symptoms you describe.

As far as watering, we let our irrigation run only 10 minutes 3 times
a week.

Old 31-05-2007, 04:48 AM posted to triangle.gardens
MAC MAC is offline

We were having a lot of trouble with a gardenia until we moved it into
partial shade. Turns out it was getting way too much sun. Now it's
blooming its head off.

Old 31-05-2007, 07:35 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Ditto on the whitefly.
Try an insecticidal soap, and after dusk so as not to damage any late-
foraging bees.
(Bees need all the friends they can get these days).

Old 31-05-2007, 09:11 PM posted to triangle.gardens

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ditto on the whitefly.
Try an insecticidal soap, and after dusk so as not to damage any
late-
foraging bees.
(Bees need all the friends they can get these days).

Indeed. I have been exploring the possibility of putting some hives on
my property just to let the colonies thrive (I don't need the honey).
I have not had anyone definitely tell me that this is a good thing
though.

We have no shortage of carpenter bees, which I dispatch with a squash
racquet

Old 01-06-2007, 12:59 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Then I encourage you.
Our native pollinators are disappearing as well, a story that is not
geting as much play.
Remember the days when the crabapples and such purely buzzed with
bees? Now you see the odd bumblebee, little else.

One way to help out is to plant good bee plants; they thrive on privet
and holly, fruit trees, tulip poplar, dandelions (!), clovers,
brambles such as blackberry, as well as many common annual and
perrenial plants and herbs (my "Blue Bedder" agastache, Mexican sage
and borage are covered each year).
Here's a link to planted a "bee garden."
http://gears.tucson.ars.ag.gov/na/bgardn.html

Other tips to be a friend to bees.... avoid Sevin dust, as pollinators
think it's pollen and bring it back to the nest, wiping out the
colony... apply the mildest insectidide possible, long after dusk, of
possible,,, put water out for the bees and birds...

If interested in bees, google "top bar hive."
Very cute, low-tech way of keeping bees. We have four TBH in our
neighborhood. Seems to be growing interest in them.

For a good FAQ, check out http://www.backyardhive.com for a start.
There is also an excellent yahoobroup called Organicbeekeepers that is
very helpful and is raising bees without any treatments.
If you want to explore further, there is a Wake county beekeeping club
that loves to help beginners get started.
The secretary's name/email is Michelle, , tell her
Jan in Southern Pines sent you.

Beekeeping is not hard, but it IS adictive.
Have fun!

Jan L
Cottage Garden Farm
S. Pines

Old 01-06-2007, 11:07 PM posted to triangle.gardens

wrote in message
oups.com...

Then I encourage you.
Our native pollinators are disappearing as well, a story that is not
geting as much play.
Remember the days when the crabapples and such purely buzzed with
bees? Now you see the odd bumblebee, little else.

One way to help out is to plant good bee plants; they thrive on
privet
and holly, fruit trees, tulip poplar, dandelions (!), clovers,
brambles such as blackberry, as well as many common annual and
perrenial plants and herbs (my "Blue Bedder" agastache, Mexican sage
and borage are covered each year).

Thank you.

We have all of that plus acres of clover in the fields next door.

What I was concerned about; is it OK to put them in those stacked
hives even if you do not intend to harvest honey? I worry about
disease or problems from commercial hives that are not being used as
intended.

I have a nice shady spot on the edge of a field inside our deer fence
that I am pretty sure would be a good place. They would get access to
the fruit trees, and bushes the hummingbirds enjoy, and the deer are
prevented from eating plus the open fields.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:30 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Got voles? Quarter sized holes around the area will tell you. Rozol
gets them. Voles love to eat the roots of your most expensive, hardest
to grow shrubs.
That said, we have a Gardenia in partial shade, no watering and it is
blooming its head off in fairly ordinary soil. FYI