Old 20-07-2007, 04:38 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Where can I see a Paw-Paw?

Hi all,
I have a tree in my back yard that I suspect is a Paw-Paw (Asimina
triloba). I've looked at photos and keys online but I'm not confident of
my identification. It would really help to see one in person. I emailed
the UNC Botanical Garden & Duke Gardens to ask if they have specimens
but got no reply. I'm sure there must be some around in some public
place that I can look at; can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
--
Philip Semanchuk
email: first name @ last name.com
Old 02-08-2007, 10:06 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On Jul 19, 11:38 pm, Philip Semanchuk wrote:

I have a tree in my back yard that I suspect is a Paw-Paw (Asimina
triloba). I've looked at photos and keys online but I'm not confident of
my identification. It would really help to see one in person. I emailed
the UNC Botanical Garden & Duke Gardens to ask if they have specimens
but got no reply. I'm sure there must be some around in some public
place that I can look at; can someone point me in the right direction?

There's a nice pawpaw patch at the NC Botanical Garden at #9 on the
streamside trail map: http://ncbg.unc.edu/uploads/files/NC...ure_Trails.pdf

I measured the largest one of this group and it's currently listed as
the state champion:
http://www.dfr.state.nc.us/urban/tre...asp?Tree_ID=32

My pawpaw page may help you with the ID:
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/astr.html

Will Cook
Durham, NC

Old 06-08-2007, 01:36 PM posted to triangle.gardens

In article .com,
wrote:

On Jul 19, 11:38 pm, Philip Semanchuk wrote:

I have a tree in my back yard that I suspect is a Paw-Paw (Asimina
triloba). I've looked at photos and keys online but I'm not confident of
my identification. It would really help to see one in person. I emailed
the UNC Botanical Garden & Duke Gardens to ask if they have specimens
but got no reply. I'm sure there must be some around in some public
place that I can look at; can someone point me in the right direction?

There's a nice pawpaw patch at the NC Botanical Garden at #9 on the
streamside trail map:
http://ncbg.unc.edu/uploads/files/NC...ure_Trails.pdf

I measured the largest one of this group and it's currently listed as
the state champion:
http://www.dfr.state.nc.us/urban/tre...asp?Tree_ID=32

My pawpaw page may help you with the ID:
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/astr.html

Hi Will,
I appreciate all the info. I found the Paw-Paws this weekend at UNC BG
thanks to your directions. There's even two fruits on one of the trees,
and one broken open on the ground so I got a chance to smell it. (Kind
of banana-y.) I can see clearly now that the trees that I have in my
back yard are definitely not Paw Paws but maybe I'll plant some. They're
native, interesting-looking and maybe I'll even get some fruit from them.

Cheers
--
Philip Semanchuk
email: first name @ last name.com

Paw Paw trees Mysterious Traveler Gardening 5 25-03-2011 11:03 PM
Paw-Paw flower Marutchi Garden Photos 2 10-03-2007 01:18 AM
seeking paw paw trees to plant in my yard. (IL) what does THIS button do?! Gardening 2 05-01-2007 11:58 AM
seeking paw paw trees to plant in my yard. (IL) what does THIS button do?! Edible Gardening 2 05-01-2007 11:58 AM
Paw Paw Pollination Raffi Kojian Edible Gardening 1 28-03-2003 09:56 PM