GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   no tomatoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/162353-no-tomatoes.html)

jaf 30-07-2007 02:58 AM

no tomatoes

My tomato plants are 6', never had them that large before BUT I have
very few tomatoes or flowers. What gives?

Daniel B. Martin 30-07-2007 01:21 PM

no tomatoes

jaf wrote:
My tomato plants are 6', never had them that large before BUT I have
very few tomatoes or flowers. What gives?

Too much fertilizer may cause this phenomenon.

Daniel B. Martin

jaf 30-07-2007 09:50 PM

no tomatoes

On Jul 30, 8:21 am, "Daniel B. Martin"
wrote:
jaf wrote:
My tomato plants are 6', never had them that large before BUT I have
very few tomatoes or flowers. What gives?

Too much fertilizer may cause this phenomenon.

Daniel B. Martin

Thanks, I have been giving them miracle grow every two weeks, I'll cut
that in half and give them half the amount every two weeks

Craig Watts 30-07-2007 09:57 PM

no tomatoes

wrote:

jaf wrote:

My tomato plants are 6', never had them that large before BUT I have
very few tomatoes or flowers. What gives?

Too much fertilizer may cause this phenomenon.

Daniel B. Martin

Thanks, I have been giving them miracle grow every two weeks, I'll cut
that in half and give them half the amount every two weeks

I concur Daniel. Back home as a kid we had a family garden
and did the same thing. Tomato plants the size of pine trees
but no fruit.

FWIW- I strategically fertilize now. First, as young
plantings, then right after the first flowers set and then
after the first harvest and the second set of flowers finish.

HTH

Craig

[email protected] 14-08-2007 05:36 PM

no tomatoes

On 2007-07-30, jaf wrote:
My tomato plants are 6', never had them that large before BUT I have
very few tomatoes or flowers. What gives?

Most likely too much fertilizer too soon. I fertilize when I plant and
don't apply anymore until it is blooming and some have set so you have
fruit.

I made the mistake with okra one year and the stuff was 6 feet before I
got the first bloom. We had to bend it over to pick it.

is a garbage address.

don 14-08-2007 10:25 PM

no tomatoes

On 2007-07-30, jaf wrote:
My tomato plants are 6', never had them that large before BUT I have
very few tomatoes or flowers. What gives?

Most likely too much fertilizer too soon. I fertilize when I plant and
don't apply anymore until it is blooming and some have set so you have
fruit.

I've had good luck with tomatoes this year (except for a few that got the
"funk"), but have had a similar experience to the OP with my peppers. I have
gotten just a few bell peppers. One plant has a few small ones, but they have
a brown spot, similar to blossom end rot on tomatoes.