Old 31-07-2007, 12:31 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Default termites ( or something) in my compost pile

Hello
I've recently moved my compost from a pile on the ground to black
plastic barrels.
I've noticed that in one of the barrels there are a lot of termites..a
LOT. I don't think they are maggots because they are a grey colour and
not the white that I think maggots are.
I've done some checking and this does not seem to be an uncommon
occurence and nowhere has it siad to get rid of the compost, but I'm
looking for more advice. Is this compost useable? If so, I'm guessing
that not at all close to the house. I didn't notice any termites until
after I added shredded paper to the pile (on the ground).
What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks
Elizabeth

Termites in Compost k_pip_k Gardening 5 09-04-2007 03:41 PM
Compost Pile / Barrel J Dubb Lawns 1 22-02-2003 02:27 AM
Compost Pile / Barrel J Dubb Gardening 2 20-02-2003 05:27 AM