GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Remove buds/flowers on new clematis? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/163349-remove-buds-flowers-new-clematis.html)

[email protected] 20-08-2007 01:23 PM

Remove buds/flowers on new clematis?

Earlier this summer, we planted a Jackmanii. Its stems were damaged in
the process of securing to the lattice fence so we had to cut it back.
Thankfully, it seems to have recovered nicely and it's growing up the
fence. A few flowers have bloomed and there are a good number of
additional buds waiting to pop.

Would we be wise to pinch the flower buds and give the plant an
opportunity to use its energy to get established?