GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   So, who's seeding this week? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/164495-so-whos-seeding-week.html)

Teech 06-09-2007 03:25 PM

So, who's seeding this week?

It's that time of year...overseeding/reseeding your lawn. But with
the ongoing lack of rain and sometimes scorching temps...is anybody
putting off this task?

I am currently planning on seeding this weekend...but am a little
unsure of whether to put it off another week or two or go ahead and
dive in. I do have the ability to keep the seed damp throughout the
day (and Durham isn't on mandatory water restrictions, yet)...so that
shouldn't be an issue.

Thoughts?

--
John

Javier[_3_] 06-09-2007 06:06 PM

So, who's seeding this week?

Teech wrote:
It's that time of year...overseeding/reseeding your lawn. But with
the ongoing lack of rain and sometimes scorching temps...is anybody
putting off this task?

I am currently planning on seeding this weekend...but am a little
unsure of whether to put it off another week or two or go ahead and
dive in. I do have the ability to keep the seed damp throughout the
day (and Durham isn't on mandatory water restrictions, yet)...so that
shouldn't be an issue.

Thoughts?

I'm far from being an expert, but I'm going to wait a couple of weeks
before overseeding my lawn (fescue), what between the temps and the lack
of rain.

Though we're supposed to get some rain this weekend, courtesy of a storm
currently brewing out over the ocean, some 200 miles off the coast.

-jav

MAC 07-09-2007 12:28 AM

So, who's seeding this week?

No seeding here. I can't see spending such a precious resource on
something as trivial as a lawn. My new motto: Brown is beautiful.

MAC

Sandie Hudson 11-09-2007 09:08 PM

So, who's seeding this week?

. ..
On 2007-09-06, don wrote:
In article .com, Teech
wrote:
It's that time of year...overseeding/reseeding your lawn. But with
the ongoing lack of rain and sometimes scorching temps...is anybody
putting off this task?

snip
Two Words - Astro Turf. You will save money in the long run.

We had little very little grass survive from what the builders planted in
our 1 yr old home's yard. But this year we've let the natural grasses and
weeds grow and the yard actually looks nice. At least for a country house
like ours. All thick and nice and green. Except for the edges around the
woods and natural areas. I think if it doesn't fill out there next year,
mulch might be the answer for that.

MAC 11-09-2007 09:30 PM

So, who's seeding this week?

Astro Turf. You will save money in the long run.

I hear green paint works well too.

Foobar 11-09-2007 10:59 PM

So, who's seeding this week?

On Sep 11, 3:30 pm, MAC wrote:
Astro Turf. You will save money in the long run.

I hear green paint works well too.

LOL.

Foobar 11-09-2007 11:18 PM

So, who's seeding this week?

On Sep 6, 5:50 pm, (don) wrote:
In article .com, Teech wrote:
It's that time of year...overseeding/reseeding your lawn. But with
the ongoing lack of rain and sometimes scorching temps...is anybody
putting off this task?

I'm fighting a never ending battle to try to havegrassin the same yard
shared with three dogs. I have a couple spots near the house that I have
added some topsoil, fescue seeds and wheat straw to try to get a head start
on things. They are small enough that I can mist them daily to keep moist.
I'll wait a couple of weeks before starting the full scale assualt on the
yard.

Waste of time.

Foobar 11-09-2007 11:21 PM

So, who's seeding this week?

On Sep 6, 9:25 am, Teech wrote:
It's that time of year...overseeding/reseeding your lawn. But with
the ongoing lack of rain and sometimes scorching temps...is anybody
putting off this task?

I am currently planning on seeding this weekend...but am a little
unsure of whether to put it off another week or two or go ahead and
dive in. I do have the ability to keep the seed damp throughout the
day (and Durham isn't on mandatory water restrictions, yet)...so that
shouldn't be an issue.

Thoughts?

--
John

It's too early. Aerate and reseed first week of October.

Foobar 11-09-2007 11:26 PM

So, who's seeding this week?

On Sep 6, 12:57 pm, Chris Dukes
wrote:
On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 13:25:18 -0000 in .com Teech wrote:

It's that time of year...overseeding/reseeding your lawn. But with
the ongoing lack of rain and sometimes scorching temps...is anybody
putting off this task?

I am currently planning on seeding this weekend...but am a little
unsure of whether to put it off another week or two or go ahead and
dive in. I do have the ability to keep the seed damp throughout the
day (and Durham isn't on mandatory water restrictions, yet)...so that
shouldn't be an issue.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't bother until I saw a weather forecast with a bit of rain,
which probably won't be until early October.
Then again, I'm on a well that was put in before I was a twinkle
in my parents eyes...

I'll probably invest in a thatching blade for the push mower this weekend
to break up accumulated dead stuff and defuse the "land mines" left by the
dogs.
Next weekend I'll try to rent a piston aereator and aereate the lawn
and pick up some compost and sharp sand and pop's little roto tiller
to take care of a few divots in the lawn.
Then when it looks like it'll be raining off and on for a week or two
I'll overseed with winter rye.

Then I'll be discussing with my wife where she wants ~300 ft^2 of nice lawn
in the front yard so we can start converting the rest of trees
shrubs, groundcover, and mulch :-).

--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up

300 ft^2 is 2 acres. Good luck with that.

Steve[_20_] 12-09-2007 05:21 PM

So, who's seeding this week?

In article . com,
Foobar wrote:

300 ft^2 is 2 acres. Good luck with that.

Hmmm? An acre is 43,560 square feet. 300 sq feet is only about 0.0069 acres.

--
Steve

doctoroe 22-09-2007 07:13 PM

So, who's seeding this week?

We are not seeding, we are doubling the size of our natural area. Less
grass, less mowing, and less watering.

Teech 24-09-2007 04:22 PM

So, who's seeding this week?

On Sep 6, 9:25 am, Teech wrote:

It's that time of year...overseeding/reseeding your lawn. But with
the ongoing lack of rain and sometimes scorching temps...is anybody
putting off this task?

I am currently planning on seeding this weekend...but am a little
unsure of whether to put it off another week or two or go ahead and
dive in. I do have the ability to keep the seed damp throughout the
day (and Durham isn't on mandatory water restrictions, yet)...so that
shouldn't be an issue.

Thoughts?

--
John- Hide quoted text -

I am constantly expanding my natural areas...but I do still have some
grassy areas that need to be taken care of. Unfortunately, I am not
in a position where I can get rid of all my grass...and I do need to
keep it looking decent.

Actually re-seeded last Sunday...and i've got a LOT of new grass as of
about two days ago.

--
John