GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What's this spider? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/165503-whats-spider.html)

Peter F 01-10-2007 02:08 AM

What's this spider?

I have two in the backyard. Good one? Bad one? It's a terrifying
thing, I'll tell you that much:

http://picasaweb.google.com/peterfilardo/Spider

Donna Maroni 01-10-2007 12:10 PM

What's this spider?

.... Good one? Bad one?....
http://picasaweb.google.com/peterfilardo/Spider

Harmless:

http://www.carolinanature.com/spider...owargiope.html

To learn more, Google for

Argiope aurantia

Daniel B. Martin 01-10-2007 12:19 PM

What's this spider?

Peter F wrote:
I have two in the backyard. Good one? Bad one? It's a terrifying
thing, I'll tell you that much:

http://picasaweb.google.com/peterfilardo/Spider

A good one. It is a familiar spider, the Yellow Argiope.
They are often seen in gardens,
including mine. In addition to the distinctive appearance,
her characteristics include the
head-down posture and a vertical zigzag section in the web.

Daniel B. Martin

Peter F 03-10-2007 07:44 PM

What's this spider?

What is it about the spider that makes it good?

Daniel B. Martin 03-10-2007 10:08 PM

What's this spider?

Peter F wrote:
What is it about the spider that makes it good?

1) It's not venomous.
2) It eats mosquitoes (among other things).
3) It's pretty (at least to spider lovers like me).

Daniel B. Martin

ncstockguy 09-10-2007 03:24 AM

What's this spider?

Spiders consume a great many insects that bite you and eat vegetables.
That particular spider on the other hand, will not bite you. It is
indeed, a good spider. This is a major spider time of year here in the
Carolinas. Lots of them out there all grown up and weaving their webs
now.