Old 05-03-2008, 05:13 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Where else to buy seed germination blankets aside from Lowes and HomeDepot? Seeding during a drought?

I need a lot of seed germination blankets to fix some eroding swales
and a lawn (new construction) that never quite took (poor top soil,
slope to the lawn, and all the builder did was seed (cheap) and
straw). Probably had clear cut the site long ago, and most of the top
soil washed away. I know there's an agri-supply in Garner, but they
were closed on Sunday when I stopped by.

Noticed Lowes sells Dupont 4' x 50' rolls of the stuff, but I'm
wondering if there are landscape supply stores around Raleigh that
have larger rolls and/or better prices.

Also wondering how much it would cost to have dump trucks come in and
replenish the top soil on my property. Who are some reliable sources
for that and what should I expect to pay?

The idea is to get the top soil in, seed and straw with annual
ryegrass just to stop the erosion. Hoping some other season, when the
watering ban ends, if it ever does, to overseed with centipede or
bermudagrass--or use plugs. I've heard the latter is pointless in a
drought, but I know annual ryegrass will germinate quickly, without a
lot of water.

Finally, would it make sense to mix in some bermudagrass seed with
the annual ryegrass "just in case"? Would the bermudagrass or
centipede seed lay dormant until we get some serious rains or I could
water daily? Ultimate goal is to go for a low maintenance lawn. Short
term goal? Stop the erosion.

Thanks.

Mike
Old 06-03-2008, 12:42 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Any home owners here?
Old 06-03-2008, 03:42 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On Mar 6, 10:25*am, wrote:
Chris Dukes
1) Most folks here will tell you that trying to put in new grass in the
spring is an excercise in futility.

It may well be. That's why I've asked.

2) Everyone I've personally met from here is looking to have less grass growing

That's a great goal. Frankly, I think the OCD lawn people should
consider other hobbies. Maybe volunteering at a golf course?

But what about those whose "lawns" are down to bare soil, and what
little soil left continues to erode away? Seems centipede and bermuda
grass are the best choices for around Raleigh--deep roots, little
water required (once established), fertilizer generally not required,
less mowing (grows slower than fescue, which is a thirsty, rapidly
growing grass), etc.

I don't much care what grass I have, but I need something to:

1) Stop the erosion
2) Keep up the value of my property

Wonder what NCSU's Agricultural extension is recommending to builders
and new home owners given drought conditions.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:32 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Thanks Wes. Don't think I have the $$$ for sod. Too much area to
cover. But for a small lawn, that would probably be the way to go.
I've had people tell me that laying down sod in a drought is throwing
money down the toilet. Maybe they were thinking of fescue sod? Who
knows. But sod is out of budget for me.