Old 29-04-2008, 02:43 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Local source for pond plants and fish?

I have a small pond that I'd like to stock. Can anyone recommend a
local (Apex/Cary/Holly Springs area) retailer who carries a variety of
good quality plants and fish?

Thanks!
Tina
Old 30-04-2008, 02:08 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Tina Hobbs wrote:
I have a small pond that I'd like to stock. Can anyone recommend a
local (Apex/Cary/Holly Springs area) retailer who carries a variety of
good quality plants and fish?

Thanks!
Tina

I posed this question to a friend that has had a backyard
pond for a number of years. Here is her reply:

Cary Garden Center and Rake and Hoe in Raleigh were both
great, but I think
they've both closed. Cary Garden has definitely closed.
Does Fairview have
water plants? Actually, I've even bought water plants from
a guy at the
flea market. I'd recommend going there. As for fish, you
can spend lots of
money on koi or you can just get gold fish from K-Mart.
They'll live! ;-)
Old 30-04-2008, 08:05 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On Apr 29, 7:08*pm, Craig Watts
wrote:
Tina Hobbs wrote:
I have a small pond that I'd like to stock. *Can anyone recommend a
local (Apex/Cary/Holly Springs area) retailer who carries a variety of
good quality plants and fish?

Thanks!
Tina

I posed this question to a friend that has had a backyard
pond for a number of years. Here is her reply:

Cary Garden Center and Rake and Hoe in Raleigh were both
great, but I think
they've both closed. *Cary Garden has definitely closed.
Does Fairview have water plants? *Actually, I've even bought water plants from
a guy at the
flea market. *I'd recommend going there. *As for fish, you
can spend lots of
money on koi or you can just get gold fish from K-Mart.
They'll live! * ;-)

While local sources can be great you can often get inferior plants and
more problems than the few dollars saved is worth. If you get fish
from k**** wacth for illness and poor quality. Add 1 tbsp of salt per
10 gallons of water in a quarantine tank for 2 weeks. Figure one
goldfish per 10 gallons or more. Good filters are the key to a great
pond.
You didn't say how big your pond is but this should give you an idea
of how many plants you will need.
Here are some basic guidelines for the number of plants to use in
common sizes of ponds. In a 4'x6' pond use 1 lily, 5-8 bog plants, 3
floaters, 24 submerged plants. A 6'x11' to 11'x11' pond use 2 lilies,
9-13 bog plants, 6 floaters, 44 submerged plants. For 11'x11' to
14'x16' ponds use 3 lilies, 10-15 bogs, 8 floaters, 90 submerged
plants. A 16'x10' to 16'x21' pond uses 5 lilies, 13-18 bog plants, 12
floaters, 160 submerged plants. 21'x21' to 26'x 26' 7 lilies, 20-28
bog plants, 15 floaters, 200 submerged plants. Visit Http://www.richdeer3pondsupplies.com
for many more tips on plants and ponds.
If you have a pond smaller than 1000 gallons koi are not a good
choice. Straight bodied goldfish are your best option. Fancies can be
used if you are careful and plant if you bring them in over the
winter.