Old 30-04-2008, 03:26 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Default What are these shrubs?

We noticed some really dense shrubs forming a hedge about 8 feet tall
at Carolina Beach. I believe I have seen them around the triangle.
Very curious what they might be. I am sure some of the plant experts
on here will know.
Photos are he
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84...nt-2-beach.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84...lina-beach.jpg
Old 01-05-2008, 02:04 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Thanks Wes,
I will check those out in the Woodwinds area next time I am over that
way. There are also some big thick plants growing in the beltline
median north of Walnut Street. Hard to get close enough to those , to
tell though.

On Apr 29, 10:14*pm, wes Dukes wdukes.pobox@com wrote:
ncstockguy wrote:
We noticed some really dense shrubs forming a hedge about 8 feet tall
at Carolina Beach. *I believe I have seen them around the triangle.
Very curious what they might be. I am sure some of the plant experts
on here will know.
Photos are he
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84...nt-2-beach.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84...lant-carolina-...

They may be some kind of viburnum, but there are a lot of different kind
of them. *I can't tell for sure, but I think this is what Cary has
planted along the Cary Parkway between Old Apex and Woodwinds Court.
those look similar, but are kept more pruned and it is difficult to tell.

--
Wes Dukes * (wdukes.pobox@com reverse the . and the @ for correct email
address)

Old 30-05-2008, 10:51 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On Apr 29, 9:26 pm, ncstockguy wrote:
We noticed some really dense shrubs forming a hedge about 8 feet tall
at Carolina Beach. I believe I have seen them around the triangle.
Very curious what they might be. I am sure some of the plant experts
on here will know.
Photos are hehttp://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84...nt-2-beach.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84...lant-carolina-...

These looks like Elaeagnus pungens, an invasive exotic
http://www.invasive.org/browse/subject.cfm?sub=4526

There are some great native evergreen screening shrubs that would be
much better choices, such as Yaupon (Ilex vomitoria) and Wax Myrtle
(Morella/Myrica cerifera).