GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bargains on rain barrels? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/174935-bargains-rain-barrels.html)

Richard Evans 23-05-2008 12:09 AM

Bargains on rain barrels?

Lowe's wants $100. Ace Hardware $90.

Anyone know of bargain prices anywhere?

me[_5_] 23-05-2008 02:25 AM

Bargains on rain barrels?

"Richard Evans" wrote in message
Lowe's wants $100. Ace Hardware $90.

Anyone know of bargain prices anywhere?

Craig's list?

Richard Evans 23-05-2008 05:08 AM

Bargains on rain barrels?

wrote:

On 2008-05-22, Richard Evans wrote:
Lowe's wants $100. Ace Hardware $90.

Anyone know of bargain prices anywhere?

Are you wanting DIY or something ready to go.

Ready to go and the simple the better. The Lowe's version includes
some kind of conversion kit for connecting the downspout to the
barrel. The Ace version simply has a concave top with a screened hole
in the center, Just park it under a downspout and you're in business.

Richard Evans 23-05-2008 07:57 PM

Bargains on rain barrels?

Richard Evans wrote:

Lowe's wants $100. Ace Hardware $90.

Wal-Mart has a 52-gal model for $50, but I don't care for the design.
The top is convex instead of concave. There are slits around the edge
to catch runoff, but there is no lip to trap the water. Seems to me
that any kind of hard rain would simply overshoot the slots and fall
down the sides.

[email protected] 27-05-2008 10:28 PM

Bargains on rain barrels?

On 2008-05-23, Richard Evans wrote:

Richard Evans wrote:

Lowe's wants $100. Ace Hardware $90.

Wal-Mart has a 52-gal model for $50, but I don't care for the design.
The top is convex instead of concave. There are slits around the edge
to catch runoff, but there is no lip to trap the water. Seems to me
that any kind of hard rain would simply overshoot the slots and fall
down the sides.

Sounds like the one I saw and I did not see a mosquito net either. It
was more like a modified trash can.

The IBC prices are now $135 if I did not mention that.

is a garbage address.

Hi Wes,
What is bulk IBC?

Richard Evans 29-05-2008 09:55 PM

Bargains on rain barrels?

Richard Evans wrote:

Lowe's wants $100. Ace Hardware $90.

Anyone know of bargain prices anywhere?

Northern Tool (the one in North Raleigh, at least) has a 55gal unit
complete with spigots for $60, on sale from $80. The downside is that
there are no holes in the top. There is a screw-off concave lid. You
are supposed to just take the lid off and run the downspout into the
barrel. A DIY mosquito incubator. However, It should be a trivial
matter to use a hole saw to cut a hole in the screw lid, cover it with
screen to keep the skeeters out, and let the downspout dump into the
lid.