GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Magnolia tree on the move (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/17613-magnolia-tree-move.html)

BB 25-04-2003 06:20 PM

Magnolia tree on the move

I had a magnolia tree about 5ft tall for 2yrs in one area of my yard. On
the past Sunday, I decided to move it to some place else(after someone
told me, the growing magnolia tree can hurt the foundation of the house,
as it was soo close to the house). I tried to dig the roots as much as
possible, but a few of the thick roots on the side had to be cut as they
had reached too far.

Now my question is will it survive(so far, it looks OK). Also when is
the earliest I would know for sure about its survival? I am confused
only because the magnolia leaves being stiff, show no signs of any
drooping and they being so glazed, don't look lifeless either!!

Help!!

[email protected] 25-04-2003 06:56 PM

Magnolia tree on the move

In article , BB wrote:
I had a magnolia tree about 5ft tall for 2yrs in one area of my yard. On
the past Sunday, I decided to move it to some place else(after someone
told me, the growing magnolia tree can hurt the foundation of the house,
as it was soo close to the house). I tried to dig the roots as much as
possible, but a few of the thick roots on the side had to be cut as they
had reached too far.

Now my question is will it survive(so far, it looks OK). Also when is
the earliest I would know for sure about its survival? I am confused
only because the magnolia leaves being stiff, show no signs of any
drooping and they being so glazed, don't look lifeless either!!

Help!!

You will know if all the leaves turn brown and fall off. Also look for
new growth on the ends. About all you can do is make sure it gets about
an inch of water per week either from rain or from the hose. With it
being small you may be lucky and it will survive.

It's waxy leaves help prevent water loss, but if there were some limbs
you had considered pruning, if it were mine I would go ahead and take
them off.

--
Wes Dukes (wdukesNOatSPAMpoboxdotcom)