Old 02-07-2008, 12:30 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Hello guys - any experience with Roundup?

hi guys, any experience with roundup by monsanto?

Bye, Alex.

PS: Look at my favorite tulips: http://www.rixa.com/node/33
Old 02-07-2008, 02:05 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Alex wrote:
hi guys, any experience with roundup by monsanto?

Bye, Alex.

PS: Look at my favorite tulips: http://www.rixa.com/node/33

My money is put on the chemical itself down at Agri Supply.
Located on US 70 in Garner.

Craig
Old 02-07-2008, 02:54 AM posted to triangle.gardens

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 15:30:45 -0700 (PDT) in Alex wrote:
hi guys, any experience with roundup by monsanto?

I opt for whatever the best deal on glycophosphate is available,
usually from agri supply in garner.

I don't even fret that much about surfactant content, if it's
insufficient had hand dishwashing liquid.

--
Chris Dukes
"Let all the babies be born. Then let us drown those we do not like."
Old 04-07-2008, 06:44 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2008-07-02, Craig Watts wrote:
Alex wrote:
hi guys, any experience with roundup by monsanto?

Bye, Alex.

PS: Look at my favorite tulips: http://www.rixa.com/node/33

My money is put on the chemical itself down at Agri Supply.
Located on US 70 in Garner.

Craig

The patent has expired and generic prices are double last year.
I don't buy Roundup because it is still more expensive and the premixed
is a ripoff.

A gallon at agrisupply is 50 and 2.5 gal is 93. There is a regular and
a glystar pro that is about 7 bucks more for 2.5 gallons. The pro has
more surfactant for turf supposedly. I have always used a good squirt
of dishwashing liquid. This is the 41 % stuff so 3-6 ounces per gallon
is all you need. I use 3 for general weeds, and closer to 6 for hard
shiny leaves like english ivy. The Lawn and Garden stuff from Lowes
will only be like 18%.

WARNING. Glyso phosphate (roundup) kills any plant it touches. It
needs to be on at least two hours before a rain. If you accidentally
spray the wrong plant you can wash it off with plain water - the sooner
the better. I keep a sprinkler can because I am always hitting
something I don't want.

YOu can make a shield from cardboard or plastic or metal so you can
spray right up to the plants you want to keep. It must be sprayed on
the leaves to work. Newer growth works better than old growth so later
in the season means it will not work as well or takes longer. Sometimes
it takes a few days to a week to see that the plant is dying. Things
with many roots and runners can be harder to kill.

We have some periwinkle as cover but I can spray a weed in it and kill
little of the periwinkle, but it will kill it if you spray a whole large
area. periwinkle puts out many runners and roots.

is a garbage address.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:28 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Newer growth works better than old growth so later
in the season means it will not work as well or takes longer. Sometimes
it takes a few days to a week to see that the plant is dying. Things
with many roots and runners can be harder to kill.

That's for sure. I am fighting what seems to be a neverending battle against
honeysuckle, which took over all my shrubs and some trees last summer before
I realized how bad it had gotten--and it killed several rhododendrons and
other stuff.

Last year I spent two full weekends pulling, cutting down to the woody stem
at the ground, and dipping the main plants in pure roundup concentrate. That
was followed by application after application of strong roundup
concentrate--but it keeps coming back. Basically I have an acre of woods
that was pretty much a solid CARPET of honeysuckle (and some wisteria-type
vine) underneath, and it had completely covered two sides of a large 6 foot
chain link fence.

I can't ever let my guard down, because of course I can't keep it from
leaping across the creek and property boundaries.

BUT it's under control, off my shrubs and fence, and I will prevail!

Sue

Old 11-07-2008, 12:11 AM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2008-07-07, Sue wrote:
[...]

You may want to try painting on full strength brush killer mixed with
roundup. I had good luck with it on wysteria. I like to leave a foot
or so of vine and scrape the bark so it will absorb more. I used
BrushBgon with roundup.

I have been fighting this wysteria for 15 plus years, but only half
heartedly. I sacrIficed an azelea to get it this time. Maybe by next
year I will have it eraticated. Part of the problem is it is back in
South Carolina so I only get to fight it on trips back. But now I am
building a little vacation shack where I can stay for a few days to a
few weeks at a time.

is a garbage address.