GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Deer & those water things (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/176515-deer-those-water-things.html)

[email protected] 02-07-2008 12:46 PM

Deer & those water things

Earlier in the spring a motion sensorred water spraying "thing" ( I
can't remember the name) was recommended to keep deer out of the
garden. Has anyone actually used one of them? Did it work?
The deer here have devoured my cucumbers, watermelon, Rose of Sharron
bushes, blueberries, MY ROSES, and now have started on the zuccini and
squash. Needless to say I am very frustrated and disapointed. I have
tried everything I have heard of t keep them out except a fence and
that is not possible. Hair, urine, cayenne, Irish Spring soap, motion
lights (they can see to eat now), wind spinners, nothing has worked
for more that a few days at a time.
Any words of wisdom?

MJ

[email protected] 02-07-2008 02:07 PM

Deer & those water things

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 03:46:57 -0700 (PDT) in wrote:
Earlier in the spring a motion sensorred water spraying "thing" ( I
can't remember the name) was recommended to keep deer out of the
garden. Has anyone actually used one of them? Did it work?
The deer here have devoured my cucumbers, watermelon, Rose of Sharron
bushes, blueberries, MY ROSES, and now have started on the zuccini and
squash. Needless to say I am very frustrated and disapointed. I have
tried everything I have heard of t keep them out except a fence and
that is not possible. Hair, urine, cayenne, Irish Spring soap, motion
lights (they can see to eat now), wind spinners, nothing has worked
for more that a few days at a time.
Any words of wisdom?

Crossbow or a fence.

Or next year plant a feed plot for deer at the opposite end of the
neighborhood.

MJ

--
Chris Dukes
"Let all the babies be born. Then let us drown those we do not like."

dot 02-07-2008 07:03 PM

Deer & those water things

I have tried one called the water scare crow - it didn't work very well.
I had much better luck with an electric fence around the garden area.

Wes Dukes 04-07-2008 06:10 PM

Deer & those water things

On 2008-07-02, wrote:
Earlier in the spring a motion sensorred water spraying "thing" ( I
can't remember the name) was recommended to keep deer out of the
garden. Has anyone actually used one of them? Did it work?
The deer here have devoured my cucumbers, watermelon, Rose of Sharron
bushes, blueberries, MY ROSES, and now have started on the zuccini and
squash. Needless to say I am very frustrated and disapointed. I have
tried everything I have heard of t keep them out except a fence and
that is not possible. Hair, urine, cayenne, Irish Spring soap, motion
lights (they can see to eat now), wind spinners, nothing has worked
for more that a few days at a time.
Any words of wisdom?

MJ

Fence.

Or check back a month or two and see what I did for rainproof repellers
.. I cannot say if they have saved my hostas or the fact that I have up
enough fence to deflect them from the yard. They could get in but have
so far not eaten if they have.

Actually I have a modified design. Take 18 inches of 1/2 inch pvc pipe
and a pipe end cap. Cut the pipe diagonally from the 6 inch point to
the 12 inch point. That way you get two repellers of which 6 inches is
whole pipe and the other 6 inches is a tapered end for sticking in the
ground. Put the cap on it and drill 4 holes 1/8 inch diameter right
under the cap. stuff each pipe with a paper towel. Mix deer repellent
to about 3 parts water to 1 part repellent. Push the repellers in the
ground with the bottom end exposed. Pour the diluted repellent in and
put the cap back on. You get the scent out the 4 holes and the half
inch bottom of the pipe.

I have them on about every other hosta. Farther than that and they
initially browsed on the stuff between. They are probably 3-4 feet
apart. These may cost a bit more but are more convenient to refill
because of the cap. You can paint the pipe, black, greeen or what ever
color you like.

You may be able to use them as a perimeter fence. I saw this idea in a
garden catalog where they sold 25 of these plastic vials you could hang
on plants for 19.95.

Good luck.

6-7 foot fence seems to be the most effective, but a deer can jump that
if they want. But they are lazy thankfully.

is a garbage address.