GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   cutting Back Roses (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/179373-cutting-back-roses.html)

[email protected] 23-10-2008 05:04 PM

cutting Back Roses

My roses had a horrible year. some of you may remember my deer
problems. A few of them finally grew one or two canes but the others
are only about a foot high and are very spindly. Even though I
sprayed and fertilized them I don't think they are very healthy and I
am afraid if I cut them back too much they will die over the winter.
I am thinking I should leave the tiny ones alone and just cut back the
tallest canes. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Mary Jo

Jessica Mae 02-11-2008 12:22 AM

cutting Back Roses

On Oct 23, 11:04*am, "
wrote:
My roses had a horrible year. some of you may remember my deer
problems. A few of them finally grew one or two canes but the others
are only about a foot high *and are very spindly. Even though I
sprayed and fertilized them I don't think they are very healthy and I
am afraid if I cut them back too much they will die over the winter.
I am thinking I should leave the tiny ones alone and just cut back the
tallest canes. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Mary Jo

Where I work we always recommend to our customers to only cut off the
dead blooms. Other than that roses are fine without being pruned back.