Old 23-10-2008, 05:04 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default cutting Back Roses

My roses had a horrible year. some of you may remember my deer
problems. A few of them finally grew one or two canes but the others
are only about a foot high and are very spindly. Even though I
sprayed and fertilized them I don't think they are very healthy and I
am afraid if I cut them back too much they will die over the winter.
I am thinking I should leave the tiny ones alone and just cut back the
tallest canes. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Mary Jo
Old 02-11-2008, 12:22 AM posted to triangle.gardens

On Oct 23, 11:04*am, "
wrote:
My roses had a horrible year. some of you may remember my deer
problems. A few of them finally grew one or two canes but the others
are only about a foot high *and are very spindly. Even though I
sprayed and fertilized them I don't think they are very healthy and I
am afraid if I cut them back too much they will die over the winter.
I am thinking I should leave the tiny ones alone and just cut back the
tallest canes. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Mary Jo

Where I work we always recommend to our customers to only cut off the
dead blooms. Other than that roses are fine without being pruned back.