GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Good tree nursery in Raleigh / Garner area? Also, what pine trees toplant? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/182309-good-tree-nursery-raleigh-garner-area-also-what-pine-trees-toplant.html)

mike[_6_] 04-04-2009 06:09 PM

Good tree nursery in Raleigh / Garner area? Also, what pine trees toplant?

Can anyone recommend a nursery in the Raleigh / Garner area with good
prices? Looking for some Leland Cypress and Red Cedar trees, as well
as some pine trees. Trees from Home Depot or Lowes seem overpriced.

Also wanting to plant some pine trees, but ones that fill out with
branches from bottom to top. I've seen one variety of pine in the area
that is nearly all trunk, with only some pine branches at the top.
That is not at all what I want--I want pine trees that will fill out
bottom to top with branches.

Looking for a variety of pine tree that:
-- Grow relatively fast
-- Has branches from bottom to top / fills-out nicely
-- Drought tolerant if possible
-- Easy to maintain (ideally, *no* maintenance; don't think I care to
shape them)
-- Being fragrant a plus (doesn't seem like many of the pine trees
around here have that "pine forest" scent; or maybe you need a whole
forest of them to get any notable scent?
-- Don't cost a lot; but then I probably only need around 10. So maybe
cost shouldn't be an issue.

I've been told I might like White Pines. Is that a good variety for
what I'm looking for? What others should I consider?

Thanks.

Mike

Craig Watts 04-04-2009 07:18 PM

Good tree nursery in Raleigh / Garner area? Also, what pine treesto plant?

My SO says go the the Farmer's Market. They have trees there
and will bring in you want them to bring next week.

Other than that the common consensus is Broadwells in Anger.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...er-have-2.html

Craig

mike[_6_] 05-04-2009 11:36 AM

Good tree nursery in Raleigh / Garner area? Also, what pine treesto plant?

On Apr 4, 1:18*pm, Craig Watts
wrote:
My SO says go the the Farmer's Market. They have trees there
and will bring in you want them to bring next week.

Thanks Craig.

Mike

[email protected] 17-04-2009 04:57 AM

On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 09:09:18 -0700 (PDT) in mike wrote:
Can anyone recommend a nursery in the Raleigh / Garner area with good
prices? Looking for some Leland Cypress and Red Cedar trees, as well
as some pine trees. Trees from Home Depot or Lowes seem overpriced.

Homewood nursery, Atlantic Avenue Orchid and Garden, Big Bloomers (sanford).
And something like Apex Nursery off of highway 55 in Apex.

Also, look at the plant carts at the big box stores, they're plainly labeled
with the names of the whole sale nurseries that supply them.
Metrolina comes to mind.

For Lelands, I've not seen them cheaper than at lowes, home despot,
or wally world. I wouldn't bother purchasing until fall, and would
probably opt to purchase something like yew trees to prevent them from
becoming deer food.

As for eastern red cedar... I'd personally prefer it if you avoided it.
They harbor a disease that infects apple and pear trees.
But if you want to go cheap... find some large specimens that get lots
of berries, and then figure out where the birds like to crap after
they eat the berries.

Also wanting to plant some pine trees, but ones that fill out with
branches from bottom to top. I've seen one variety of pine in the area
that is nearly all trunk, with only some pine branches at the top.
That is not at all what I want--I want pine trees that will fill out
bottom to top with branches.

There are actually several pine varieties seen around the triangle,
but they are mostly the offspring of trees planted for timber
when a lot of Nc farm land was reforested.

There's a naturalized pine that grows like you describe if grown
singly that you'll start seeing around efland and hillsboro. can't
remember the variety and couldn't be arsed to look them up when I had
a yard full of them.

There are also european stone pines which were a hot seller
around fall/xmas of 2007. In 2008 the unsold trees were in bigger pots
for bigger prices, which was annoying as my wife wanted a couple
more for the front yard.
The hot small tree for xmas 2008 was the alberta spruce, you shouuld
still be able to find a few, but it won't be very happy being planted this
time of year.

Mugo Pine is grown more as a shrub and does somewhere between what
I'd expect of a pine tree and what I'd expect of a creeping juniper.

Looking for a variety of pine tree that:
-- Grow relatively fast
-- Has branches from bottom to top / fills-out nicely
-- Drought tolerant if possible
-- Easy to maintain (ideally, *no* maintenance; don't think I care to
shape them)
-- Being fragrant a plus (doesn't seem like many of the pine trees
around here have that "pine forest" scent; or maybe you need a whole
forest of them to get any notable scent?
-- Don't cost a lot; but then I probably only need around 10. So maybe
cost shouldn't be an issue.

You might want to look at some of the hybrids of the various american hollies.
They hold a better pyramid shape naturally than most pines. They smell
absolutely lovely when they bloom in the spring, and the birds absolutely
love the berries. Pine trees, once they produce pine cones just end up
clogging my gutters once the squirrels start eating them.

--
Chris Dukes
davej eskimos have hundreds of words for snow. I have two. Bullshit.