Old 15-04-2009, 06:16 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Here Come the Deer again

I had to replace 4 of my roses because of the damage they caused last
year and now they are back. Any new ideas? Anyone tried a new
product?
I have motion lights have tried hair, Irish Spring soap, pinwheels
and probably a dozen other things I can't think of right now. I don't
think I can take another year of disappointment. Thanks for any help.

MJ
Old 15-04-2009, 08:04 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Dog hair. Specifically, undercoat gleanings from the dog brush.
Put a handful at the base of the roses and water it in. It will stick flat
to the ground all summer long. Works for me and my veggie garden...
let us know if it works for you! If you don't have a dog with an undercoat,
maybe ask a friend, or your local groomer.
Cheers
Sue

Old 16-04-2009, 01:03 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On Apr 15, 12:16*pm, "
wrote:
I had to replace 4 of my roses because of the damage they caused last
year and now they are back. Any new ideas? Anyone tried a new
product?
I have motion lights have *tried hair, Irish Spring soap, pinwheels
and probably a dozen other things I can't think of right now. I don't
think I can take another year of disappointment. *Thanks for any help.

MJ

I hate to say it but there is no chemical or remedy that works for
deer 100% and the most frustrating part is if someone finds something
that works, it might not work on the next deer. I work in a nursery
and we recommend and have had people have a lot of luck with Liquid
Fence, otherwise keep searching for that magical deer cure. I wish you
and your roses good luck!
Old 16-04-2009, 06:18 PM posted to triangle.gardens

"Sue" wrote:

Dog hair. Specifically, undercoat gleanings from the dog brush.
Put a handful at the base of the roses and water it in. It will stick flat
to the ground all summer long. Works for me and my veggie garden...
let us know if it works for you! If you don't have a dog with an undercoat,
maybe ask a friend, or your local groomer.

I have two dogs and a small herd of deer that live in the woods
around my house. The deer pay no attention whatsoever to the dogs. The
dogs are in a fenced yard, so they can't actually chase the deer, but
the deer commonly graze on one side of the fence with the dogs barking
like crazy on the other.

One day I looked out my window to see a doe almost nose to nose on the
opposite side of the fence with one of the dogs. The dog was barking,
the doe seemed mildly curious. Eventually, the doe took off running
alongside the fence, the dog followed on its side. I expected the doe
to reach the end of the fence and continue into the woods. Instead,
she reached the end, stopped, turned around, and the two raced back to
the starting point. Only then did the doe calmly walk off into the
woods.

I'm glad your technique works for you, but I wouldn't bank on it..
Old 16-04-2009, 09:02 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Get a plant they won't eat:
(I know that's old news)

http://icwdm.org/handbook/mammals/Deer.asp

Page down toward the bottom for the plant list.

http://pender.ces.ncsu.edu/files/lib...t%20Plants.pdf

http://search.ncsu.edu/ncsu.html?cx=... =Search#1035

Search on "deer resistant plants"

That's not going to fix the rose problem, but your other
choice is fix your place up like a POW camp with a VERY
high(8' fence) that has electricity.

Old 17-04-2009, 01:30 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Pat Barber wrote:
That's not going to fix the rose problem, but your other
choice is fix your place up like a POW camp with a VERY
high(8' fence) that has electricity.

Our vegetable garden is surrounded by a wire fence 8' high,
without electricity. I don't like the way it looks but
there is
no choice. No fence = no crops.

Deer are not the only problem. A flock of Canada geese lives
on a nearby pond. They visit my back yard every day. Geese
*love* tomatoes. They will steal any tomato they can reach,
with that long neck stuck through the fence. WRT geese,
no fence = no tomatoes.

Daniel B. Martin
Old 17-04-2009, 11:22 AM posted to triangle.gardens

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 10:16:08 -0700 (PDT) in wrote:
I had to replace 4 of my roses because of the damage they caused last
year and now they are back. Any new ideas? Anyone tried a new
product?
I have motion lights have tried hair, Irish Spring soap, pinwheels
and probably a dozen other things I can't think of right now. I don't
think I can take another year of disappointment. Thanks for any help.

Hunting bow, cross bow, or gun.

Between the duck squeezers, lack of interest in hunting, and lack of
4 legged predators, the deer are busily over populating.
The deer and geese are also over populating.

Get your local legislators to re-legalize the public sale of venison
and start allowing hunting on the public lands, extend the seasons
for deer, and the problem will start to settle itself out.
Start re-introducing predators like wolves and mountain lions and
things will also settle off. Granted, pets illegally allowed to roam
off a leash would also feed the predators.

In the mean time, you need to consider physical barriers. Deer can
jump high, and deer can jump long, but they can't do both at the
same time. Either slant fences (Which need not be more than a few
stands of electric fence wire and some flags of tape), or have a
dense planting of shrubs just inside a high fence and you'll keep
most of them out.

Or you could buy grain for chumming deer and spread it out in the
neighbor's yard at the end of the block.
--
Chris Dukes
davej eskimos have hundreds of words for snow. I have two. Bullshit.
Old 18-05-2009, 01:53 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2009-04-15, wrote:
I had to replace 4 of my roses because of the damage they caused last
year and now they are back. Any new ideas? Anyone tried a new
product?
I have motion lights have tried hair, Irish Spring soap, pinwheels
and probably a dozen other things I can't think of right now. I don't
think I can take another year of disappointment. Thanks for any help.

MJ

Here is my first version of a refillable deer repeller that seems to
work for me.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Deer...er-refillable/

I have since made a second kind but I never put it on instructables.

For it I had some 3/4 inch PVC pipe that I cut into 18 inch lengths and
I bought some endcaps for it.

I marked each pipe at the 6 and 12 inch marks and diagonally sawed them
on my bandsaw so I now had two 12 inch pipes with a pointed end I
couldput in the ground. I poked paper towels or cotton balls in the 6
inch intact part of the pipe and drilled 4 holes at 90 degree angles
Just below where the caps stopped. I spray painted mine black. I used
a syringe to squirt a diluted mixture of the deer repellant into them,
and put the cap in place. You have to keep them fairly close together.
For example every 3-4 feet or in the middle of a 3 foot diameter hosta.

I have not put mine out this year, but I have put so much barrier up in
the form of movable and fixed fences that I have had no damage yet.
Plus the rain means there is more browse in the woods for them to munch
on. I do see tracks between my garden and the greenway though.

I did a quick job and put 5 photos on flickr. Hope this helps.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/level6/...7618411107436/

is a garbage address.