Old 28-05-2009, 12:57 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Problems growing leland cypress

Hi there,
I have a section in back yard between me and a neighbor that is very
wet. There are some large trees in the immediate area but for years I
have been trying grow leland cypress to create a natural screen
between the two properties. My understanding is that leland cypress
get very big very quickly which is what I want. Unfortunately I've
been trying for several years and the growth is almost nothing. One
tree has grown, maybe, 6 inches in 3 years--and that only happened
because last year I watered it 2x daily.

The area also has a lot of shade because of the oak and maples nearby.
So I'm not sure if it's the minimal direct sunlight, the wet soil or a
nutrient deficiency in the soil. Any ideas?

Also, if these conditions aren't good for leland cypress can anyone
make a recommendation for another tree that could that I could cluster
for a suitable screen effect?

Many thanks,
YYY

Old 28-05-2009, 09:09 PM posted to triangle.gardens

I've had the same problem and have regretted planting the cypress trees. I'm
convinced that the problem is lack of light.
Old 30-05-2009, 12:32 AM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2009-05-28, yeahyeahyeah wrote:
Hi there,
[...]

Take a look at Chindo Viburnum. I don't know how many hours of sun your
area gets, but these tolerate partial shade.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...ki-chindo.html

We have some on the north east of our garage and they get maybe 4 hours
per day and I have to prune them every year. Plus if they do get
established, you can root your own by burying a low limb for a year.

is a garbage address.
Old 31-05-2009, 02:49 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Thank a lot. You're the second person to recommend the Thuja Green
Giant. I found a mailorder place to get them but hopefully a nursery
in this area will have them.

Old 31-05-2009, 02:50 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to print out that link and
see if I can find them around here (South Jersey).

Many thanks.