Old 30-05-2009, 02:18 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Lettuce isn't heading

I have Romaine lettuce in my container garden that is doing fine, but
I have a half dozen plants of head lettuce that aren't showing any
sign of heading. In fact, they look very much like the Romaine: Long
stalks with leaves at the tips.

Any ideas?
Old 30-05-2009, 01:19 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Richard Evans wrote:
I have Romaine lettuce in my container garden that is doing fine, but
I have a half dozen plants of head lettuce that aren't showing any
sign of heading. In fact, they look very much like the Romaine: Long
stalks with leaves at the tips.

Any ideas?

We gave up on head lettuce years ago. Never had luck with it
heading. We grow all leaf (Bibb, Black Seeded Simpson,...).
Our Romaine was harvested 2 weeks ago and did very well the
last 3 years. It is getting just to hot now.

Pull the leaves and eat it as is.

Craig
Old 30-05-2009, 06:06 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Craig Watts wrote:

Richard Evans wrote:
I have Romaine lettuce in my container garden that is doing fine, but
I have a half dozen plants of head lettuce that aren't showing any
sign of heading. In fact, they look very much like the Romaine: Long
stalks with leaves at the tips.

Any ideas?

We gave up on head lettuce years ago. Never had luck with it
heading. We grow all leaf (Bibb, Black Seeded Simpson,...).
Our Romaine was harvested 2 weeks ago and did very well the
last 3 years. It is getting just to hot now.

Good to know. I'll add it to my notes for next year.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:51 AM posted to triangle.gardens

On Fri, 29 May 2009 20:18:54 -0400 in Richard Evans wrote:
I have Romaine lettuce in my container garden that is doing fine, but
I have a half dozen plants of head lettuce that aren't showing any
sign of heading. In fact, they look very much like the Romaine: Long
stalks with leaves at the tips.

Any ideas?

Too hot, it's preparing to bolt.
The corn is now high enough that I'm going to try
the experiment of lettuce in corn to provide shade and coolness, but I
doubt it'll work.

Start more lettuce in august and september for the fall.
And get some white spun fabric row covers to protect it from frost.
if the colo box had not gone off the air, I could have grabbed a chunk for
you from one of the local nurseries that puts it on their greenhouses
every winter and then throws it away each spring (Nevermind that the product
is rated for 5 years use in fields).

--
Chris Dukes
davej eskimos have hundreds of words for snow. I have two. Bullshit.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:51 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Start more lettuce in august and september for the fall.

When should I put it out next spring?

Old 05-06-2009, 04:07 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 09:51:03 -0400 in Richard Evans wrote:
Start more lettuce in august and september for the fall.

When should I put it out next spring?

Hrm, I think I started my lettuce in january, and put it out in the
garden in february. And took to watching 3 weather reports twice a day
to see if I needed to cover them for the night.

First romaine lettuce I sold was around the last week of march.
Last lettuce sold was about 3 weeks ago.

There are bibb type lettuces that are slower to bolt,
I haven't found a variety that doesn't get too bitter for the
rest of the family.
--
Chris Dukes
davej eskimos have hundreds of words for snow. I have two. Bullshit.

Lettuce - Lettuce 1a (Small).jpg (1/1) [email protected] Garden Photos 2 17-01-2018 05:48 PM
Lettuce - Lettuce 1a (Small).jpg (0/1) [email protected] Garden Photos 0 20-12-2015 09:10 PM
dead heading flowers styxx374 Gardening 2 18-05-2004 04:10 PM
Dead heading Dave United Kingdom 5 04-10-2003 10:37 AM
Dead heading water lilly flowers Steve Jackson Ponds 2 14-07-2003 12:14 AM