GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Storm Ruined Tomato Plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/184515-storm-ruined-tomato-plants.html)

trax 06-06-2009 05:43 PM

Storm Ruined Tomato Plants

We planted several tomato plants in May and they were doing great
until a huge rain (thunder & lighting, hail) storm hit and they are
now all drooping. We are concerned that most will not survive and we
won't have any fresh tomatoes this year. Doesn't anybody have any
suggestions? Should I add the tomato fertilizer fast grow? I don't
want to touch them too much.
Thanks,
Trax
www.yardcharmers.com

[email protected] 06-06-2009 06:25 PM

Storm Ruined Tomato Plants

On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 09:43:38 -0700 (PDT) in trax wrote:
We planted several tomato plants in May and they were doing great
until a huge rain (thunder & lighting, hail) storm hit and they are
now all drooping. We are concerned that most will not survive and we
won't have any fresh tomatoes this year. Doesn't anybody have any
suggestions? Should I add the tomato fertilizer fast grow? I don't
want to touch them too much.

If they're a determinate variety, they're toast.
If they're an indeterminate variety new growth should resume from what's
left of the stem and roots (Unless it rained so hard it washed away the roots
too). You'll just be a bit late getting tomatoes.

--
Chris Dukes
davej eskimos have hundreds of words for snow. I have two. Bullshit.

Don6170 06-06-2009 08:46 PM

Storm Ruined Tomato Plants

trax wrote in news:3678fabf-22bc-4280-8db4-
:

We planted several tomato plants in May and they were doing great
until a huge rain (thunder & lighting, hail) storm hit and they are
now all drooping. We are concerned that most will not survive and we
won't have any fresh tomatoes this year.

I have planted replacements as late as July 4th and had tomatos all the way
up to the first frost.

Daniel B Martin 07-06-2009 01:24 AM

Storm Ruined Tomato Plants

trax wrote:
Doesn't anybody have any
suggestions?

Drooping is not the same as dead. Plants are surprisingly resilient.

Suggestion: do nothing. Let Mother Nature take care of it.

Daniel B. Martin

trax 07-06-2009 03:07 PM

Storm Ruined Tomato Plants

On Jun 6, 5:24*pm, Daniel B Martin
wrote:
trax wrote:
*Doesn't anybody have any
suggestions? *

Drooping is not the same as dead. * Plants are surprisingly resilient.

Suggestion: do nothing. * Let Mother Nature take care of it.

Daniel B. Martin

Thanks Daniel,
I did nothing and to my surprise this morning a few appear to be
coming back. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again, Trax
www.yardcharmers.com

WesD 26-07-2009 11:54 PM

Storm Ruined Tomato Plants

wrote:

trax wrote:
*Doesn't anybody have any
suggestions? *

Drooping is not the same as dead. * Plants are surprisingly resilient..

Suggestion: do nothing. * Let Mother Nature take care of it.

Daniel B. Martin

Thanks Daniel,
I did nothing and to my surprise this morning a few appear to be
coming back. *I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again, Traxwww.yardcharmers.com

If the roots are totally saturated with water they cannot take up
water because it has to be in the form of water vapor, so my guess is
it stayed wet a bit too long. The leaves were transpiring water, but
the roots could not take up more hence the wilting. If the roots dry
out before they rot then they will be a bit stunted but ok.
I try to plant mine on a hill a few inches above the garden level so
some of the roots have a better chance of not drowning. The hills
make it a bit harder to get water to them when it is dry though.