GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Too Late to Sow Lettuces for Fall? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/187569-too-late-sow-lettuces-fall.html)

Red Hot Pepper 02-10-2009 06:31 PM

Too Late to Sow Lettuces for Fall?

I do appreciate your opinion/advice on this one.

mj 05-10-2009 10:22 PM

On Oct 2, 1:31*pm, Red Hot Pepper wrote:
I do appreciate your opinion/advice on this one.

Not if you hurry and keep an eye on the temperatures. I planted 3
different kinds a few weeks ago in the greenhouse and they are doing
well. We heat it to just stay above freezing in the winter.
MJ

[email protected] 07-10-2009 09:30 PM

On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 13:31:28 -0400 in Red Hot Pepper wrote:
I do appreciate your opinion/advice on this one.

NC Ag extension recommends growing lettuce from transplants rather than
directly from seed.
Wally World, Lowes, and Homewood nursery all have 4 and 9 packs
of young plants.

And if you're feeling moderately evil, grab a flat of broccoli
to see if there are any groundhogs nearby.
--
Chris Dukes

mj 08-10-2009 11:16 AM

On Oct 7, 4:30*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 13:31:28 -0400 in Red Hot Pepper *wrote:

I do appreciate your opinion/advice on this one.

NC Ag extension recommends growing lettuce from transplants rather than
directly from seed. *
Wally World, Lowes, and Homewood nursery all have 4 and 9 packs
of young plants.

And if you're feeling moderately evil, grab a flat of broccoli
to see if there are any groundhogs nearby.
--
Chris Dukes

Explain the groundhog thing? I may be feeling evil but I want to know
what I am getting into.
MJ

[email protected] 12-10-2009 03:17 PM

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 03:16:55 -0700 (PDT) in mj wrote:
On Oct 7, 4:30Â*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 13:31:28 -0400 in Red Hot Pepper Â*wrote:

I do appreciate your opinion/advice on this one.

NC Ag extension recommends growing lettuce from transplants rather than
directly from seed. Â*
Wally World, Lowes, and Homewood nursery all have 4 and 9 packs
of young plants.

And if you're feeling moderately evil, grab a flat of broccoli
to see if there are any groundhogs nearby.
--
Chris Dukes

Explain the groundhog thing? I may be feeling evil but I want to know
what I am getting into.

I planted brocolli, lettuce, and cabbage and then
discovered a groundhog had setup residence with a burrow entrance
in my garden.
I should have figured out something was up when it looked like
someone had applied a lawnmower to my bush beans. But I had
grasshoppers and figured they were to blame.
The broccoli were eradicated overnight.
The lettuce, with deer block, was eradicated about a week later.
The cabbage remained untouched.

For a more entertaining explanation of a similar situation.
http://www.craigslist.org/about/best...289301464.html

MJ

--
Chris Dukes