Old 28-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Patskywriter

Default big bloomers nursery

i heard a commercial on WDNC, where the announcer said that big bloomers has
the biggest selection of plants in the southeast and that the prices are half
those of triangle-area nurseries. is the hype correct? if so, i might be making
a road trip out to sanford real soon!

pat
Old 28-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Patskywriter

Better have directions before
going down there because there aren't any signs on US 1 to point you in the
right direction.

thanks! will do

as far as starting out with smaller plants, i've been buying dinky plants from
mellingers (in ohio) with great success. their prices are good, too. i got 4
(tiny) hydrageas for $16 and they're doing fine. still, i wouldn't mind
shopping at a local nursery if the merchandise is good and the price is right.

pat
Old 28-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Will Cook

Patskywriter wrote:

i heard a commercial on WDNC, where the announcer said that big bloomers has
the biggest selection of plants in the southeast and that the prices are half
those of triangle-area nurseries. is the hype correct? if so, i might be making
a road trip out to sanford real soon!

Yes, the hype is correct - it's well worth a trip to Sanford. Below are
directions from my plants for birds page
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/plants4birds.html

Big Bloomers in Tramway, just south of Sanford. A plant collector's
dream - they have just about every perennial and annual you can think of
(plus a few shrubs) at fairly cheap prices. Take US 1 south past
Sanford, turn right (west) at the Tramway stoplight, then turn left at
the first road past the elementary school (look for the sign on the
right).
Old 04-05-2003, 07:56 AM
Marcy Hege

Big Bloomers is great with a good selection of plants. Often the plants are
smaller but the prices are definitely better. Better have directions before

Old 05-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Will Cook

Wilhelmina wrote:
Would someone please post Big Bloomers' hours?
thanks!

I don't know what their hours are, but here's some contact info from
http://www.ncagr.com/markets/commodi...s/bigbloom.htm

Big Bloomers Flower Farm
Gail Foushee
275 Pressly Foushee Rd
Sanford, NC 27330
Business: 919-776-6597 FAX: 919-777-9298
Email:

Old 05-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Wilhelmina

Thanks for the contact info.
Big Bloomers Flower Farm hours a
8:30-5:30 M-F
8:30-5:00 Sat.
1:00-5:00 Sun.
-Willie

Old 06-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Kelly Garner

In article ,
Wilhelmina wrote:
Thanks for the contact info.
Big Bloomers Flower Farm hours a
8:30-5:30 M-F
8:30-5:00 Sat.
1:00-5:00 Sun.
-Willie

I just went to Big Bloomers on Saturday for the first time. Wow!! Lots of plants, well taken
care of, lots of selection and the prices were right. We didn't even see the roses or other
bushes (off the far end of the parking lot) til we were about to leave. I had to restrain
myself to a small box of plants, most of which I was able to repot on Sunday. I was heartened
to see that their basil seedlings are about the same size as mine are. :-)

After Big Bloomers, I was taking US 1 North back to Raleigh and I thought I'd try and see if I
remembered where Mich Gardens was. (Off 64 in Chatham Cty near Jordan Lake). The last time I
visited was probably 4 or 5 years ago, and a friend of mine told me they now have a separate
area for commercial sales (where the original nursery/store was). The new place did not have
as many plants of the kind I was interested in, but I did get a small eucalyptus and a
"million bells" (mini petunia) that I put into a hanging basket. Also got some lovely little
zinnias - they made me happy when I saw them, so I bought them.

If you're coming from Raleigh, Big Bloomers and Mich Gardens is a nice 1-2 kind of combination
for plants, backroad travel, and knowledgeable staff.

Cheers
KJ
--
---
"God help those who have no bowels, only consonants & vowels." - Dylan Thomas

These big bloomers you'll be proud to own! (Landsteward Article) Earl@Greenwood Gardening 0 23-03-2006 04:43 PM
Christmas bloomers mleblanca Gardening 6 02-01-2006 01:04 AM
Christmas bloomers MLEBLANCA Gardening 5 27-12-2004 09:38 PM
one of my most reliable bloomers :-) J Fortuna Orchids 2 30-06-2004 11:11 PM
Christmas Eve Bloomers MLEBLANCA Gardening 7 25-12-2003 09:32 PM