Old 01-03-2010, 02:37 PM posted to triangle.gardens
mj mj is offline

Default Weather

Does anyone else want to whine about how long and cold this winter has
been? I know I tend to rush things but geez this is awful. I have my
plants started but they are growing slow even in the greenhouse. I
bought new Rose bushes, because the Deer ate them all last year, over
a week ago and have not dared to plant them yet.
Ok, I guess I am done for now

MJ
Old 01-03-2010, 04:24 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 06:37:40 -0800 (PST), mj
wrote:

Does anyone else want to whine about how long and cold this winter has
been?

My main complaint is about the way the local weather drones
hyperventilate at every approaching storm, making it sound like the
coming of Armageddon. Then little or nothing happens. We are due to
get slammed by one they don't see coming.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:36 PM posted to triangle.gardens

mj wrote:
Does anyone else want to whine about how long and cold this winter has been?

Where is all this Global Warming they keep talking about?
We need some of it right here, right now!

Daniel B. Martin

Old 02-03-2010, 08:42 PM posted to triangle.gardens
mj mj is offline

On Mar 2, 1:48*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 14:57:35 -0500 in *wrote:

So does crying wolf, but only up to a point. It then becomes
counterproductive.

I used to believe that... then I started observing people that
get their news from the TV. *Alternate between crying wolf and
crying celebrity scandal, and they keep coming right back to it.

--
Chris Dukes

Well let me tell you about the weather here this afternoon.Around 2:00
all h broke out. 34 mph winds and a down pour like I haven't seen in a
long time. The predictions were for this evening. I go back to what my
Dad always said(and many others) if you want the forcast look out the
window!

MJ
Old 05-03-2010, 03:08 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On Mar 1, 9:37*am, mj wrote:
Does anyone else want to whine about how long and cold this winter has
been? I know I tend to rush things but geez this is awful. I have my
plants started but they are growing slow even in the greenhouse. I
bought new Rose bushes, because the Deer ate them all last year, over
a week ago and have not dared to plant them yet.
Ok, I guess *I am done for now

MJ

This winter will last about as long as all others. It may be colder,
but the average date of the last killing frost is still Mid April. As
you approach May the risk of frost decreases, so I generally don't
plant my summer crops until around May 1.

Even if you don't have a frost, there can be some cold and dreary days
all through April where tomato plants will just sit in the ground and
not grow. That exposes those small stems to more chance of cut worms.

I have tried wallowaters and while they allow some plant growth for
tomatoes and peppers they seem too spindy so I just quit using them
and plant later.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:22 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On Mar 2, 3:42*pm, mj wrote:
On Mar 2, 1:48*pm, wrote:

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 14:57:35 -0500 in *wrote:

So does crying wolf, but only up to a point. It then becomes
counterproductive.

I used to believe that... then I started observing people that
get their news from the TV. *Alternate between crying wolf and
crying celebrity scandal, and they keep coming right back to it.

--
Chris Dukes

Well let me tell you about the weather here this afternoon.Around 2:00
all h broke out. 34 mph winds and a down pour like I haven't seen in a
long time. The predictions were for this evening. I go back to what my
Dad always said(and many others) if you want the forcast look out the
window!hat

MJ

Well that is why they are called predictions. I have a 80% success
rate in predicting the weather 24 hours in advance by just saying, the
weather tomorrow will be just like today. It's that last 20% that is
difficult.

They never know exactly where the fronts will meet so the prediction
will most likely be true, but 50 miles away from us.

There is a great book on chaos by james gleick that explains
repeatable patterns of randomness. The weather, the stockmarket, the
economy, and even Flu spread follow those patterns. Though some
people believe that an unproven force called god is the cause. But
even the rise and fall of civilizations and religions follow
repeatable patterns of randomness.

I now return to the subject of gardening. Time to check may seed
stock and see what I need to replenish. Think I will hand till a row
or two and plant peas and chard.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:29 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On Mar 1, 1:36*pm, "Daniel B. Martin"
wrote:
mj wrote:
Does anyone else want to whine about how long and cold this winter has been?

Where is all this Global Warming they keep talking about?
We need some of it right here, right now!

Daniel B. Martin

Dan, was that serious or tongue in cheek? In a couple hundred years
we may know the final answer. I do believe we are in a period of
warming, but I truly cannot say that it is man made and/or just
natural randomness causing it.

We are guilty of plundering our fossil fuels like drunken sailors go
through casks of rum. Will technology save or butts or finish us
off?? Stay tuned news at 11. :-)
Old 06-03-2010, 04:12 PM posted to triangle.gardens

WesD wrote:

Dan, was that serious or tongue in cheek?

It was written in jest. We humans *wish* we could control the weather.

In a couple hundred years we may know the final answer.

Yes, and I'm going to be here to witness it!
(Another bit of jest.)

I do believe we are in a period of warming ...

Agreed.

... but I truly cannot say that it is man made and/or just
natural randomness causing it.

Agreed.

I don't take sides in the Climate Change controversy.
However, I am annoyed by the alarmists who declare
"The science is in, the debate is over."
No, the debate is *not* over.

We are guilty of plundering our fossil fuels like drunken sailors go
through casks of rum. Will technology save or butts or finish us
off?? Stay tuned news at 11. :-)

Veering off into the political realm...
Our leaders don't understand that the major conflicts of the 21st
century will be not military, but economic. The countries which have
(or can make) the most energy will be the victors. We need to build
nuclear power plants, lots of them, and start right now.
Self-sufficiency is the key to survival.

Dan Martin